• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Software Defined Radio SDR for 11 Meter

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Sdr is something I'll be adding to the station soon. Until recently it just hadn't caught my attention but now I'm all eyes. Toughest part to me is the software setup on a PC, I'm a truck driver by day so I can really screw up a puter!

The guy in this video had been really resourceful for me getting schooled.

Which leads me to this mobile device installation that seems much easier and I have a 10" Samsung tablet to do the job.

I'm all ears for ideas and recommendations.

I have quite a few SDRs and while you can use them with an Android and a OTG cable it isn't the best way to go. I use Linux for all things SDR but if you are not familiar with Linux getting everything setup can be a bit daunting. One good option is to use a "Live" Linux image like this one:

That lets you boot your PC and run Linux with all the SDR tools ready to go. I have not used it but it has all the tools you would want and should 'just work'.

I have quite a few SDRs and while you can use them with an Android and a OTG cable it isn't the best way to go. I use Linux for all things SDR but if you are not familiar with Linux getting everything setup can be a bit daunting. One good option is to use a "Live" Linux image like this one:

That lets you boot your PC and run Linux with all the SDR tools ready to go. I have not used it but it has all the tools you would want and should 'just work'.
Thank you sir. A lot of that I'm ignorant to but I'll have to figure it out. I appreciate your tips and will be using them soon. I've ordered the dongle, the so239 to sema connector, and the fm filter. I've got various antennas to try with it so that'll be an experiment in itself.

Thank you sir. A lot of that I'm ignorant to but I'll have to figure it out. I appreciate your tips and will be using them soon. I've ordered the dongle, the so239 to sema connector, and the fm filter. I've got various antennas to try with it so that'll be an experiment in itself.
You have provided plenty of assistance to myself and others here so don't be shy. I have worked with Linux as a profession since about 1994 and I am happy to help you or anyone else that wants to dive into the wonderful world of cheap SDRs. And even expensive ones. When you have questions just ask, I am very happy to help especially since the payoff is big...a nice SDR setup is awesome.

If you are a Windows user, HDSDR and SDR++ are great options.

As mentioned by MadNachos, running SDR on a tablet or phone is do-able, but is definitely not the best way to go - it's usually clunky and charging the device while running the SDR becomes a problem. Also, when you want to feed the SDR audio into digital mode decoding software, it's not really able to be done well on a Mobile device.

Linux options work great too, if that's your cup of tea.

For me GQRX and SDRangle are "must haves" but I must admit that I know nothing of Windows options as I don't use it. But I suspect that the main issues with SDR devices on Windows is that the OS wants to use incorrect drivers since it probably thinks the SDR is a TV tuner. If you get beyond that you should be good to go.

Reactions: Eldorado828 and Pez
Just to expand on this, if you really want to SDR properly, but receive only, the offerings from AirSpy are unmatched. I have purchased probably 10 different SDRs over the last 5 years and my AirSpy was the best. They are just a bit expensive for only receiving. And note that many of the SDRs you can get 'cheap' are worth every penny. Until they heat up and go to shit. Buy once cry once works here.

Can't go wrong with an SDR Play with SDR Uno software or an AirSpy HF+ with SDR Console. The latter combo (my favorite of the two) will rival the receive on the most expensive HF transceivers & Flex radios IMO - all for under $200. I'm not sure if either software package is available for Android but they're both dead simple to install on a windows computer. No drivers, just plug and play.

Last edited:

I am stone cold ignorant about this. Is this what you see MMM using in his video gates? Also, if I were to use this in a laptop, would it pick my CB up, along with who I'm talking to and display it on my computer?​

Reactions: Eldorado828

I am stone cold ignorant about this. Is this what you see MMM using in his video gates? Also, if I were to use this in a laptop, would it pick my CB up, along with who I'm talking to and display it on my computer?​

Yes, MMM's latest gates show him using an SDR Play with SDR Uno software. Great software.

If you bought an SDR Play RSP1a: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015965 (nice SDR receiver dongle) and used one of these: https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1708b-sdr you could split the same antenna and use it for receive on the SDR and transmit on your CB. The MFJ would mute the SDR on transmit.

MMM is either using something like the MFJ or something homemade.

The advantage of using an SDR like this is incredible receiver performance and filtering/noise reduction vs. simple CB receiver. You'd get a receiver with performance much like a very high end HF transceiver or Flex radio.

Yes, MMM's latest gates show him using an SDR Play with SDR Uno software. Great software.

If you bought an SDR Play RSP1a: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015965 (nice SDR receiver dongle) and used one of these: https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1708b-sdr you could split the same antenna and use it for receive on the SDR and transmit on your CB. The MFJ would mute the SDR on transmit.

The advantage of using an SDR like this is incredible receiver performance and filtering/noise reduction vs. simple CB receiver. You'd get a receiver with performance much like a very high end HF transceiver or Flex radio.

You're way over my head on this. What I'm interested in is the display of the bandwidth being used, so that I know if I'm into adjacent channels, and what my audio sounds like. I would just run this on my bench with it's own little antenna to monitor my transmissions and the locals I speak with.

You're way over my head on this. What I'm interested in is the display of the bandwidth being used, so that I know if I'm into adjacent channels, and what my audio sounds like. I would just run this on my bench with it's own little antenna to monitor my transmissions and the locals I speak with.
That's exactly my intended purpose just as you say. I'm getting schooled right along with you on this one. It's completely new to me. Looks very useful in a lot of ways.

That's some really nice gear and comes with software.

To Greg T,

An SDR is basically an all-band receive radio (converter) capable of listening to anything from DC to whatever the limit of your SDR converter is, on whatever software program you want to use. It can and has been used as a spectrum analyzer by many. The better the antenna being used the better the signal, your small antenna would not last long before you decided to connect to your big antenna, but to monitor yourself anything would work. The main thing to remember is that you can not connect a "T" between the antenna to the radio and the SDR converter.....you would kill the SDR with RF from the radio. A switch box between the antenna to the radio or SDR is fine, but MFJ sells an adapter to do that automatically, and have heard that they have their problems.

My SDR converter of choice came from DX-Patrol (back in 2015) still going strong and always on, it was their first unit and they have since updated it. The connection to the computer is a USB cable. Of course, they use drivers, and it's either all explained with your converter of choice or online. Youtube has many videos, many of which have the SDR connected to the inside of the ham radio, but that is not what you want.

I use it on a Windows10 computer, depending on the SDR program you want to use, I use HDSDR. Like any other program, they update all the time adding more options. They have more options than you can even think of using. You have to remember it's all in the software you use, the converter is the receiver adapter that connects to the USB port on the computer.

The program that you choose to run (and there are many) would have digital filters that let you adjust your receive in many ways, and a Zoom feature to let you expand your frequency range (2Mhz plus range). You could sit and monitor from 26.000 to 28.000 to see where the action is, provided you had a good antenna connected to the converter, or you could Zoom in to just the span of a few Kc, which is very small (don't think you would ever go that small).

One other feature is "Record", if you record anything and you had Zoom wide open, you could go back and play it. What you could listen to is whatever is shown on the playback (mine are wav. files), if people were on 27.025 and you were recording on the action 27.385, you would be able to listen to what was said on 27.025 or anyplace else that was on your recording just as if it were "Live".

If you just wanted to monitor yourself that's fine, but you soon get tired of that and start listening to all the other action that your radio can't see. Great for late at night when there is no one on the air, and someone keys down, that little blip is shown on your screen, but the Zoom has to be set wide enough to catch them, even if they are on the free bands.

Do your research on the subject, I'm sure there are others here that have done it and how they did it.
You can start here if you want:
https://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-smart-xtr-hf-bundle.html
All the antennas included may never get used by you, but it is a good price.

I could go on and on, but you would never regret getting an SDR setup...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.