• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

software for streaming digital audio in duplex

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
I need some help with a project. A tower mounted radio.

The idea is to mount a cheap HT up on a 5 story rooftop where coax cant be ran and stream audio to and from the HT via streaming audio over the 802.11 protocol with a small x86 computer to decode the streams and feed the audio from the sound card.

PTT, as well as a few basic functions such as changing preprogrammed channels, and hi/lo power will be controlled via parallel port and bank of relays with wires soldered to the corresponding switches on the radio.

What I need is software to stream the audio in full or half duplex (shoulnt matter as parallel port does the PTT switch).

I am sure this has been done before, and I know similar has been done with crossband repeaters and echolink.

What I need now is the most basic software for streaming the audio with minimal hardware requirements, preferably for linux or less preferable windows 98.

I got access to power, and am looking at using underclocked laptop processor with no fans, LCD or drives and an SD card for storage. I know there exist much better but its what I have laying around.

Interesting project.... I suppose you could use something like Ventrilo for that purpose as you can set it to vox. Setting up a vent server is really easy.

I'm not quite sure I understand the setup you're trying to accomplish. How is this much different than using a PC with rig control and a mic plugged into the PC. Aren't you just running a really long line in/out to the HT from the PC?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.