• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solarcon MAX OPTIMZER The Ultimate 10-11 Meter Base Antenna

It's has been long time since I have posted on the forum and I don't recall the rules but getting back to the antenna I have had both the Imax and A99 this is the best tuning as far as swr and resonance I've ever had on either of them. if I wanted to I could improve on the results but it would yield very little I'm sure you can tell that I'm impressed.

Can someone with more disposable income than me please purchase a new A99, a new IMAX, and the new extender section and cut them open so we can see what's inside them?

this is the only way to stop the myth train from derailing.
LC

Reactions: Holydvr
Can someone with more disposable income than me please purchase a new A99, a new IMAX, and the new extender section and cut them open so we can see what's inside them?

this is the only way to stop the myth train from derailing.
LC
Good idea LC, but if someone has an Imax and is not using the optimizer section and they have the proper meter for testing, then maybe we can get some more ideas to better under understand what is going on inside,

Personally, I think this nothing more than an extension. Solarcon use to suggest that Ham operators cut the top section. but I have never heard a discussion on how that idea worked.

Good idea LC, but if someone has an Imax and is not using the optimizer section and they have the proper meter for testing, then maybe we can get some more ideas to better under understand what is going on inside,

Personally, I think this nothing more than an extension. Solarcon use to suggest that Ham operators cut the top section. but I have never heard a discussion on how that idea worked.
I trimmed mine. I cut way less than I estimated based on the info in the manual, and it changed the resonant frequency way more than one would think based on the manual. Just sharing.

Reactions: Marconi
Balanced antenna? That would imply being center fed, unless there is another way to try and balance a vertical antenna? So its a T2LT or perhaps a Gainmaster style of matching? I would lean towards the T2LT type as that can handle quite a bit of power on its own without a matching circuit...

Not sure on overall length, but it does have an added one foot section for "optimized cb use", which would make the antenna unbalanced when using said section...

Then there is this line...

If a ground plane kit benefits this antenna, that will rule out it being a balanced antenna, or for that matter any form of (near) center fed antenna...

More information needed.

The DB
I gave away the Useless ground plane kit for my Antron 99 as did several others that I know. We each found them as a waste of money & more Smoke & Mirrors than anything useful. The Antron 99 works better without the ground plane kit as far as each of us are concerned.

I have had a A99 for years and think it is great. And it tunes in many bands. I believe 12, 15, 17,and possibly 20 Don't hold me to it but all with the radios internal tuner.
My Antron 99 has a 1.2.1 SWR on 6 meters & I have used it for hundreds or QSO's on 10,11,12,15,& 17 meters & other than 6,10,& 11 meters I used a tuner. It does not beat my yagi's but it works pretty darned good at only 30 ft to the base of the antenna.

My Antron 99 has a 1.2.1 SWR on 6 meters & I have used it for hundreds or QSO's on 10,11,12,15,& 17 meters & other than 6,10,& 11 meters I used a tuner. It does not beat my yagi's but it works pretty darned good at only 30 ft to the base of the antenna.
Amen, I agree six-shooter.

With my new shorter A99 (12") I only have a nice bandwidth if I go up in frequency. Working CB the match is 1.5:1, which is fine for working my radio, but it's 100+ ohms of reactance.

Thanks

I gave away the Useless ground plane kit for my Antron 99 as did several others that I know. We each found them as a waste of money & more Smoke & Mirrors than anything useful. The Antron 99 works better without the ground plane kit as far as each of us are concerned.
Hey Six-shooter my Exnec models for the A99 with the GPK attached...shows there is very little to no currents on the radials.

IMHO, this how Solarcon gets away with their baseless clams about the GPK, because the radials have little to no current flowing on the radials and that is because with a 1/2 antenna on the 2 radiator ends...there is voltage only, little to no currents.

Maybe I'll post the models, 1 with slanted and 1 with horizontal radials.

Last edited:

The context of my post had nothing to do with how useful or not the ground plane kit was, it was commenting on weather or not the antenna met the advertised claim of being a "balanced antenna". Therefore, at best your reply is out of context.

Speaking to it anyway... As you have a rather strong opinion about said ground plane kit, you are going to believe what you want to believe no matter what anyone says, and that is fine. But there are people (including myself) who have seen adding a ground plane kit to some a99 or Imax antenna installations appear to help said antennas. When this happens there was a problem with said antenna the owner likely didn't even know they had. I tend to prefer other solutions to said problems, but the ground plane kit is an available, workable option when said problems do come up, especially for those that don't have easy access to someone who may have other solutions.

As you and your acquaintances didn't have any of these problems, well that is normal, and I guess to a certain extent lucky. Most of the time people don't have said problems, but sometimes some people do. If you or your acquaintances did have such a problem, would you know how to fix it without said ground plane kit? Would you even know if you had said problem?

The DB

Hey Six-shooter my Exnec models for the A99 with the GPK attached...shows there is very little to no currents on the radials.

IMHO, this how Solarcon gets away with their baseless clams about the GPK, because the radials have little to no current flowing on the radials and that is because with a 1/2 antenna on the 2 radiator ends...there is voltage only, little to no currents.

Maybe I'll post the models, 1 with slanted and 1 with horizontal radials.
Marconi, I would very much like to see the two models if you post them. I'm very curious about this part of the hobby and have enjoyed the various models you've posted in the past. Thank you, Sir! :)

The context of my post had nothing to do with how useful or not the ground plane kit was, it was commenting on weather or not the antenna met the advertised claim of being a "balanced antenna". Therefore, at best your reply is out of context.

Speaking to it anyway... As you have a rather strong opinion about said ground plane kit, you are going to believe what you want to believe no matter what anyone says, and that is fine. But there are people (including myself) who have seen adding a ground plane kit to some a99 or Imax antenna installations appear to help said antennas. When this happens there was a problem with said antenna the owner likely didn't even know they had. I tend to prefer other solutions to said problems, but the ground plane kit is an available, workable option when said problems do come up, especially for those that don't have easy access to someone who may have other solutions.

As you and your acquaintances didn't have any of these problems, well that is normal, and I guess to a certain extent lucky. Most of the time people don't have said problems, but sometimes some people do. If you or your acquaintances did have such a problem, would you know how to fix it without said ground plane kit? Would you even know if you had said problem?

The DB
I still use the Antron 99 most every day on many bands & it performs very well for a FREE antenna. I have had Zero issues with it & it for sure works far better without the ground plane kit so as I said,I Gave it Away. Unless I wanted a worse signal I would never use one again. The Antron does not come close to my (5) band Mosley yagi but it does what it's designed to do & it has now for over 10 years.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?