• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base SOLARCON Scoop

I've just bought a max 2000 as well, was hoping to use mine on 11m, but my analyser says that its resonance is 28.030 it doesn't really upset me as I'm a ham as well an I just use it on 10m, however it does seem a little short for 11m

Robert, if I've already asked you this question please forgive me.

Is your New Imax multi-banded like some ham operators report?

Robert, if I've already asked you this question please forgive me.

Is your New Imax multi-banded like some ham operators report?
i think my max2000 would be ok it is1.5 .1. on15m it would need a coupler on 12-17m I have not used it on 20m. I have not had this antenna for long. I like the A99 more I have had it for years . Most portable work I use a terlin outreach antenna its a great antenna.

Reactions: 357magnum
Thanks for your help and putting up with my questions. My old Vector Analyzer is broken down, just like me, and I can't physically work on antennas anymore.

I'm not a Ham operator, but I always seemed to perfer my A99 too. I just can't remember why.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and putting up with my questions. My old Vector Analyzer is broken down, just like me, and I can't physically work on antennas anymore.

I'm not a Ham operator, but I always seemed to perfer my A99 too. I just can't remember why.
no trouble.I have two tips for the A99 one for 10m. one11m. Both show 50ohm at the feed point.My first go at this computer stuff.

no trouble.I have two tips for the A99 one for 10m. one11m. Both show 50ohm at the feed point.My first go at this computer stuff.

I never tried a shorter tip on my A99 Robert. There is a trimming table in my A99 manual that can be used up to 33 MHz.

However, I have heard guys claim lots of improvement in gain at a lower TOA when replacing their A99 tip with a longer 102" whip or a 96" Shakespear FG whip in the top of the A99 antenna. Like is was a big deal...making the antenna a bit longer.

I've also heard guys claims to using a Fire-Up 99 tip replacement element for their A99...that reportedly made the A99 into a 5/8 wave antenna. I think the FU 99 ad below demonstrates a lot of WordSmithing type CB-BS.

The FU-99's ad claims to have a patent (4379298) and the patent does not even get close to agreeing with the claims the Fire-Up ad makes...saying their antenna is not a stand alone CB antenna. See the patent below in the first couple of paragraphs...that says it all.

Below is the patent.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/55/f4/25/56832932289947/US4379298.pdf

Below is the Fire-UP 99 ad that gives us a patent number.
http://firestik.com/Catalog/FS99-W.htm

The thing is, this World is full of corruption. I don't just call it "Retail Puffing" any more.

Last edited:
I wind the whips for my car I like to top load them as it seems to make them less likely to pick up the noise from the cars electrics Never knew if it was just moving field further away from the car or is it putting a horizontal pattern to its radiation making it quite like a beam or dipole. Have had ham say theA99 is better with a nine foot whip on top have never tried it myself.

I have that Fire up antenna screwed to the bottom section of a VHF Galaxy Marine Antenna I got from a boat they were scrapping @ the marina , bottom section looks the same size as the old Big Sticks ( never measured it ) the Fire Up I had lying around in the garage as well as another VHF radio of no real value , I mounted on my eave ( approx 25' to the base ) & have talked with my friend on his boat over 40 miles out from the hill I'm on . Hey , I had it , cost me 0 $'s & it keeps me amused .:whistle::D

That's what I am using now is a A99 and it works pretty good...I had it tuned as close to 10 meter as I could which turned to be some wheres in the neighborhood of 28.270 if I remember right that was before I took down all my ham stuff right now height wise its 38 feet to the coax feed point..... Now its just my 2 cents worth but couldn't they make four six foot sections equal to 72 inches a section and still have it tune perfectly on 11 meters or is that too easy of an answer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.