• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base SOLARCON Scoop

From the UPS FAQ section:

What is considered oversized package for UPS?
Large Package Surcharge – For domestic shipments, UPS defines a “Large Package” when its length (longest side of the package) plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches and is less than 165 inches, or its length exceeds 96 inches...
LC

So far, no one has produced any actual measurements of the longest antenna section,... that shouldn't have been very hard for a shop that sells them to do.;)

It is possible to get a section that is longer than 96" into a 96"carton, you just need to "angle" it into the box. the box may have to be a couple inches WIDER tho.

For instance, a 6" x 3" x 96 box would be a total of 114" using the above formula, a 96" section will fit inside this box.

Reactions: 357magnum
What was different about the last one is what I would want to know. Old stock, or just one good from a batch of new.

So far, no one has produced any actual measurements of the longest antenna section,... that shouldn't have been very hard for a shop that sells them to do.

I agree with you both. I'm still :confused::confused: why nobody thought about checking and comparing the dimensions...for sure when Bell's discovered the problem they published, returned product, and dropped the item.

I don’t see how they could have NOT measured them, unless they’re making the assumption based on the apparent tuning issues.
Yes, I sort of hinted that question when I asked Bells but I have not received a concrete answer. I'm thinking that the problem with the thirteen antennas they returned was not related to the length and later the information of the shorter antenna was known. Let's hope the returned thirteen antennas don't get shipped-out to a different distributor and/or a Radio Shop.

Recon, here is a review from CB Radio Magazine you may find interesting.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Antenna Reviews/Imax 2000/Imax 2000 Antenna Review.html

Road Squawker, there is some talk about calculator math for the 5/8 wave, including Velocity Factor in the link above.

My Imax was very broad banded while working <> 70' feet of feed line. I recall the BW was so wide when using a CB radio it showed a very low SWR the entire CB bandwidth...like a straight line with no curve. Using my VA1 analyzer the antenna showed more than 4 MHz <1.50:1 SWR. I would think that would put the match >29 MHz and possibly still showing close to 1.50:1 SWR.

Has anybody asked 357 if he measured and recorded the dimensions for one of the Max 2000 he returned?

357, did you ever hear back from Solarcon after they received your returns. They make a promise in their manual to do just that if you included contact information with returns.

IMO, something just isn't jiving here.
Too many home maintenance issues had to be resolved prior to the winter arriving which delayed my mission for getting into ham radio. I have not met anyone in my area either on CB or Ham. I'd like to meet a licensed ham radio operator to invite to my home with a ten meter radio to find out how my MAX 2000 will work. I sure as heck don't want to have to lower the antenna to adjust the tuning rings.

If you continue to have problems with the (I ?)MAX 2000, and still have any faith in Solarcon, it might be a lot less hassle to just get and install an A99 and move on.

When I read what I just keyed in it looks kind of like I typed a smart @$$ comment.

That was not my intent, but just a suggestion. Good luck with it Recon (y)

I've just bought a max 2000 as well, was hoping to use mine on 11m, but my analyser says that its resonance is 28.030 it doesn't really upset me as I'm a ham as well an I just use it on 10m, however it does seem a little short for 11m

Welcome to the forum Robert and thanks.

Can you still work CB with any reasonable SWR with this shorter New Imax?

Your comments are great and finally someone with a New Imax that knows for sure the Imax has changed in its resonant frequency.

If you get a chance, maybe you could help us understand more about what this change means regarding the new length. You've told us where it's resonant, maybe you could describe a bit more and tell us the <2.00:1 SWR bandwidth for your New Imax. If possible, it would also be helpful to me...if you could post the BW image from your analyzer.

If you can, maybe you could also give us the dimensions for each section of this New version of the 3 element Imax. I would like to model it. If not, then the BW numbers will do just fine.

I'm not suggesting you to take you antenna down...just to make measurements.

Thanks again for your comments.

What do you guys think would happen with this New Imax being shorter...if an operator would put a 102"> whip in the top?

like i have said before the i max 2000/a99 must be put on a pole at least a quarter wave length of the band being used,,,,, and the antenna must have a good connection to pole,,, no rust/dirt,,,,,it might work with out pole but if ya ever seen the inside of the antenna you would say how does it even radiate,,, why i stay with metal,,,,

If you continue to have problems with the (I ?)MAX 2000, and still have any faith in Solarcon, it might be a lot less hassle to just get and install an A99 and move on.

When I read what I just keyed in it looks kind of like I typed a smart @$$ comment.

That was not my intent, but just a suggestion. Good luck with it Recon (y)
Using the (three) CB radios SWR meter and a MFJ-870 SWR meter, the SWR is great on all channels with my MAX 2000. I discarded the booklet for my MAX 2000 and by coincidence I selected Bells CB Radio site to get a spec sheet for the MAX 2000 so as to bring with me to the Zoning Board meeting. When I noticed the statement relating to they will stop selling the MAX 2000, I passed on the info to this forum because there were /are several guys having difficulty getting a good SWR.

Sorry, I confused myself. I was wrong in thinking you were having SWR issues with your antenna as well. Looking back I see that was another forum member and that I was wrong. :oops:

Hope all goes well at the Zoning Board Meeting. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.