• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base SOLARCON Scoop

I've just bought a max 2000 as well, was hoping to use mine on 11m, but my analyser says that its resonance is 28.030 it doesn't really upset me as I'm a ham as well an I just use it on 10m, however it does seem a little short for 11m
You may have the missing piece to the puzzle if you can confirm the length of each section or the total length of the assembled antenna. Do you still have the shipping box so as to measure it?

I wouldn't buy this antenna without seeing it first. for mine arrived without the thread tapped into the base section to allow the second section to screw into it. At the moment my analyser is with the other ham in our town, and as soon as I get it back I will get a picture of the screen whilst its attached to this antenna, it doesn't load up well at all on 11m. I did get the measurements of the sections I have, the base is 240mm long the middle is 233mm and the top thin piece is 240mm, sorry for the metric measurements, but our Australian tapes are different.
As dad is disabled the replies may not be instant but we will respond as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't buy this antenna without seeing it first. for mine arrived without the thread tapped into the base section to allow the second section to screw into it. At the moment my analyser is with the other ham in our town, and as soon as I get it back I will get a picture of the screen whilst its attached to this antenna, it doesn't load up well at all on 11m. I did get the measurements of the sections I have, the base is 240mm long the middle is 233mm and the top thin piece is 240mm, sorry for the metric measurements, but our Australian tapes are different.
As dad is disabled the replies may not be instant but we will respond as quickly as possible.
Wow! Are you serious?. No threads at the top of the bottom section? That must have been one heck of a shock when you had the wrenches ready to assemble the antenna. This issue starts a whole new ball game. Thank you for providing the measurements.

240mm or 2400mm? 2400mm = (approx.) 7'-10" and 2330mm = (approx.) 7'-6".
7'-10" + 7'-10" + 7'-6" = Total Length of 21'-8". I think you have a "shorty" MAX 2000. the size of shipping box?

Reactions: 357magnum
Both UPS and FedEx specify a maximum package length of 108 inches. So saying that the new Solarcon's shorter length is due to shipping considerations is just conjecture or BS.

FROM UPS WEB SITE:
UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages that you send with all UPS services.
  • Packages can be up to 150 lbs.
  • Packages can be up to 165 inches in length and girth combined.
  • Packages can be up to 108 inches in length.
  • Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations.
My take on the shorter antenna is that the seller figured the 10 meter market has greater sales potential.
You're on to something. As per Robert Buttle's post, the MAX 2000 he recently received has two 7'-10" sections and one 7-6" section which translates to a total length of 21'-8". Solarcon is probably using the same length shipping carton as the for the original 24' long MAX 2000.

As per the spec sheet with my MAX 2000, each section is 8' long. I measured the total assemble length which is 24' from the coax connector on the bottom section and to the tip of the top section.

Ok, I was looking at the numbers and saw a huge difference, but I think there was an error in your calculations of Robert’s antenna. It’s much longer than 21’8”.

Ok, I was looking at the numbers and saw a huge difference, but I think there was an error in your calculations of Robert’s antenna. It’s much longer than 21’8”.
Yes, I did not add for the 3/4" length of the treads on the two sections which would add 1-1/2" to the 21'-8". Either way, there is a significant difference in length and that may be the answer as to why some guys are having difficulty adjusting the tuning rings to get a decent SWR.

Yes, I did not add for the 3/4" length of the treads on the two sections which would add 1-1/2" to the 21'-8". Either way, there is a significant difference in length and that may be the answer as to why some guys are having difficulty adjusting the tuning rings to get a decent SWR.

I’m not talking about the threads, that’s insignificant.

7x3= 21’
10”+10”+6” = 26”
26” = 2’ 2”

21’+2’2” = 23’ 2”

The total of 21’8” is a foot and a half shy of the actual total.

23’ 2” is 10” shorter than the 24’ it’s supposed to be.

I believe that’s about what it would take to raise the tuning from 27.205 to mid 28mhz .

Someone would have to actually measure all 3 sections of an old one to see where the change has taken place.

I’m not talking about the threads, that’s insignificant.

7x3= 21’
10”+10”+6” = 26”
26” = 2’ 2”

21’+2’2” = 23’ 2”

The total of 21’8” is a foot and a half shy of the actual total.

23’ 2” is 10” shorter than the 24’ it’s supposed to be.

I believe that’s about what it would take to raise the tuning from 27.205 to mid 28mhz .

Someone would have to actually measure all 3 sections of an old one to see where the change has taken place.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.