• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

solder for lmr400

9deuce

Jan 6, 2014
THAT LAKESIDEBOSS
i have a question whats a good solder to use for my LMR400 the connecters the ones i got are old and wanna redo them i have some teflon silver connecters all ready just need some info on what kinda of solder to use
will any type work i hear high rosin core and i hear higher lead too can anyone shed some light on this

Last edited:

60/40 rosin core will work, but I think more importantly, what iron/tip are you using? You need enough heat inertia to get in and get out.

I personally wouldn't attempt it with a soldering gun, and the 25 watter is on the small side. If you spend too much time in there you'll be melting things other than solder.

I think regular old solder should do just dandy. The idea is to be quick, sort of. You can certainly get things too hot though. If you can prepare the things you'll be soldering, as in 'tin' things first, you can be pretty quick and have things come out just fine. Having a third hand is also very nice! Or, fix things so they don't move and just two hands works okay. Best thing I can think of to make sure you do things right is experience. You will make mistakes and as long as you learn from them, it's good...
- 'Doc

Nothing wrong with regular 60/40 tin/lead solder however I prefer to use either 62/36/2 or 61.5/35.5/3 tin/lead/silver. The small percentage of silver makes the solder flow a bit better and it will bond better to some metals. It's also a bit harder when solid. Most people will never see the difference but having been soldering for about 38 years I can see the subtle difference. Connections look brighter as well and I really prefer it for PCB work. Just stay away from that infernal lead free stuff. Just remember that he root word of "environmentalists" is "mental" and they had to be to come up with that stuff.

I like the 62/36/2 as well, it does seem to flow better but takes just a bit more to get it going.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.