• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Soldering Iron

Weller TC-201 soldering station w/PTS7 soldering tip works very well for me.

75012.box.GIF

$T2eC16h,!zIFIfLdEIl6BSbFTMrn(g~~60_35.JPG

Also use this solder sucker for one-hand operation:

images

I bought a digital solder station from Radio Shack a few years ago on sale. Best buy I ever made for soldering. Adjustable heat from 300 to 900 deg F so you have the right heat for any electronic soldering job.

Reactions: 1 person
Can't go wrong with Weller or Hakko soldering irons or stations. For solder regular 60/40 rosin core is best. If you can find 63/37 it is a bit better. Some solders have 2 or 3% silver content and are even better.Try and avoid the lead free crap. I have stocked up on several pounds of 60/40 or 62.5/34.5/3 where the 3% is silver.I have tried the lead free crap and detest it to no end. I started soldering about 38 years ago and still believe lead is required in a decent solder.

Reactions: 5 people
Regarding solder: Use either Kester 60/40 or 63/37 rosin core solder. Size is up to you, however, 0.62" or 0.50" would work for large components; maybe 0.32" or so for smaller components.

I like the Hakko solder station I have. heats up fast. turn it on and pull the screws off the radio to look inside and the iron is ready to use.

Yes Doc,

Should have been 0.062", 0.050", and 0.032" Kester 60/40 rosin core. I've used Radio Shack solder, but noticed the newer stuff not as good as the older solder. So it's back to Kester for me. Just a personal preference.

Doc.? :blink: Could have sworn someone else said that. ;) I agree with Kester. They are pretty much the defacto standard I think. Been using it for over 35 years and still have a couple pounds stock piled.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.