• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Some Food for Thought

Dealer

Aug 30, 2005
Post Oak Bend,Texas
With so many of the forum members joining the Amateur
ranks, I felt the need to share this artical I came across.

What impressed me the most was not so much the How
as was the Why, to give this some consideration.

Not everyone will see this as I did however some
will see the cookie cutter ways of getting on the bands.

In years past I have been known to throw money around
as talked about in this artical....

I feel the need to mend my ways if for no other reason
because my circumstances have changed the last couple
of years.

Hope you find it a good read.

http://www.qsl.net/wb1gfh/antenna.html

Best Regards,
John

Sure its easy to buy an antenna but I am the kind of guy that would rather build his own that buy. I guess I'm sort of cheap that way. I'm getting ready for a one week dry camp out in the prairie doing the Custer battle reenactment and I will be building a yagi for 2meter out of some pvc pipe and welding rod.
Cost, around 10 bucks and this is a three element to boot. Try to buy one for that price. The two meter antenna I use is a j pole antenna and I get out every where I need to go.
Cost, about 8 bucks. Not bad. There is so many antenna designs out there for under 20 bucks, A guy could go crazy at the hardware store buying bedsprings, plumbing fittings and bailing wire. When I went into the ACE hardware store for the coper fittings, the store attendant asked me what kind of plumbing job I was doing and when I told him that I was building an antenna, he gave me the strangest look. When I went back to buy some guy wire, he asked me is this for the same antenna and I said no this is for a different antenna and asked if he had some welding rod and he really gave me a look and started scratching his head. When I went back for the third time, looking for some plumbing supplies he asked me, let me guess, for an antenna right. No I replies and said it is for my sink and he did a double take and just gave me a deer in the head light look. So it can be very rewarding to build your own and who know, you might come out with the greatest antenna ever built. Have fun out there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.