• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Someone Sent Snake 12 Radios To Get Worked On WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
Movie - YouTube

Wow someone just sent snake 12 radios to get worked on. I bet in 6 to 10 weeks all these radios will be listed on ebay for $250 to $350 each not worth it even after snake gets done with them.

Nice lot of radios anyhow. I have heard good things about Snake, I picked up an old 99V for next to nothing and may send it to him as a guinea pig. Doug is so busy it would be nice to find someone else to send a few radios to.

he is good but very expensive

That's because he has a high opinion of himself. A legend in his own mind.

If you have a "Snake Tuned" radio for sale, you can add 60% to the selling price just because it's been Snakyfied.

Word up, for sure.

Last edited:
wow

have you ever had work done by him.if not how do you know.
not nice to hate on others. he did a good job on my ar3300

have you ever had work done by him.if not how do you know.
not nice to hate on others. he did a good job on my ar3300

No.

I was fortunate enough to be born with an extra dose of common sense and an ability to smell horse shit farther away than the average human.

I've seen enough of his love stories and youtube videos to realize, well, you know.

His descriptions and services are so lovingly described that he is able to quickly build a "fanboy" following, whom will be blinded by the rhetoric, then will come running to his defense. He is KNOWN not to have the appropriate equipment to properly repair a radio. He should call himself :"Snake Oil" because he sure spreads a lot of it.

Sorry, but he don't get no love from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You see this same crap everywhere in the CB world. "I only use this tech." Or "He's the best on xxxx radios."

My favorite idiot with a soldering iron is locally known as a genius on the HR2510. It's because he has told everyone that he is. If you point out things he missed, you get a heaping shovel full of horse shit in return. When you actually learn enough about the piece of technology you are trusting him with to not be fooled, you are banned from his shop.

Simple truth is this. To open an auto repair shop, you must have enough tools for the job or tell the customer you can't help them. You wouldn't take your car to a shop that doesn't have the computer to read your PCM codes, or a welder to install a muffler, or a lift to get under the damn thing. Why on earth to people defend these radio shops so vigorously when the shop they defend doesn't have the tools to do the job right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
As long as you don't get a superwackpacked radio like this one, it's all good.

006_zps2b3d66a9.jpg

whatever dude. if talking shit makes you happy.

You one of his jock strap holding cheerleaders then or what? If M42duster is right, the guy is expensive and has a big ego then that's not talking $hit, it's saying it like it is. Heck DTB is a little expensive too but seems to be well worth it. Maybe your boy is too.........maybe not.

No.

I was fortunate enough to be born with an extra dose of common sense and an ability to smell horse shit farther away than the average human.

I've seen enough of his love stories and youtube videos to realize, well, you know.

His descriptions and services are so lovingly described that he is able to quickly build a "fanboy" following, whom will be blinded by the rhetoric, thus will come running to his defense. He is KNOWN not to have the appropriate equipment to properly repair a radio. He should call himself :"Snake Oil" because he sure spreads a lot of it.

Sorry, but he don't get no love from me.

you smelled it too?

I'm going to give him a shot and hope for the best, I have not heard/read one bad comment from someone who actually had him build/work on a radio but, I sure have read a lot of positive ones. I have spent enough time in various shops, radio and otherwise to know not all the equipment gets used all the time. DTB also has a good reputation and I guarantee not every radio that goes out their door has seen a scope.

Just for fun, I am willing to send it to one of our members here who does have the "proper" equipment so we can see how close it is when Snake is done with it.

wow

i only had him fix one radio. he did a good job
case closed.when you sit here and talk shit about a guy not a member here
so he cant defend himself. that is talking shit.
i am done with this thread. so i don't care

I'm going to give him a shot and hope for the best, I have not heard/read one bad comment from someone who actually had him build/work on a radio but, I sure have read a lot of positive ones. I have spent enough time in various shops, radio and otherwise to know not all the equipment gets used all the time. DTB also has a good reputation and I guarantee not every radio that goes out their door has seen a scope.

Just for fun, I am willing to send it to one of our members here who does have the "proper" equipment so we can see how close it is when Snake is done with it.

Highly doubt it.
If he (DTB) is making adjustments to the modulation or setting up the PLL/VCO; there is no better tool for the job. You just can't see modulation on a meter correctly. Modulation meters are dumb; they cannot show distortion and even the best ones are inaccurate. A scope can see it clearly, easily, accurately, reliably, and quickly - I might add. Which is essential to a proper tune-up or modulation modifications.

Also doubt the assumption that he (DTB) got to where he is in this field by tuning radios by ear. Using the right test equipment and using it properly assures consistency of all work performed. Consistency + job done right = return customer. Customers have to be pleased with the results because the adjustments are correct/accurate. Not to mention the fact that his troubleshooting skills goes beyond replacing all the caps in a radio to fix it. He finds the bad caps and replaces them. It is the difference between using a shotgun or a sniper rifle. Fixing a radio by understanding each circuit in that radio and knowing what each part is doing there separates the real tech from the hack.

It is just best to use scientific test gear and to use it right; that is essential for best results.

Send it to him (Snake Radio) if you want to. No one is stopping you here. It is your money and your radio. Experience with many radios when repairs and mods are concerned does go a long way.

However, some of us can and do take issue with his methods. I'd seen in one of his videos how he was using a Dosy to gauge a radio's output - while he had a Bird 43 meter just sitting there - and not using it. Just not practical nor logical. Never seen him use a scope. Unthinkable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio