• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Something for the Antenna gurus...

I always had impression from way others talk + needs 2 feed lines were x did not but both worked( vertical and horizontal mode), as well as V aka VEE was half X but gave you both polarities like X and only needed 1 feedline to have big polarities but was told and forgot which polarity lacked and other was more dominant yet best thing told about it is anyone with either a vertical or horizontal you could hear well ect. Clearing this for me if you can and benifits of the VEE aka V style beam and benifits of it as a log periodic i once drew up plans for one but never got a chance to apply my skill I just dropped out of everything now I am older and trying to get into a lot of design of again for fun.

There is a LOT of misinformation out there about antennas and sorting out the truths from the falsehoods is daunting to say the least. As for the number of feedlines an antenna requires or what polarity it exhibits, that depends on the physical layout and orientation of it as well as the goal of the operator. The exact same + antenna may be fed with one feedline or maybe two feedlines depending on what the operator is trying to achieve. The best thing is to read and garner info from TRUSTED sources and by trusted I do NOT mean from Billie Bob with the big antenna down the block. SOLID antenna theory can be found in the ARRL Antenna book and from most reputable manufacturers.

Reactions: wavrider and 2RT307
Oh and those X type antennas that offer both polarities at the same time are not really the best of both worlds so to say but rather the compromise of both worlds. There is a minimum of 3 dB loss for each polarity, maybe more depending on feed and orientation.

Reactions: DainBramage
Ok and a VEE V shape would be same compromise or what? See this is why I ask questions as I do, some may seem or states but you learn from asking before screwing up and waiting time money and being a fool at times.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.