• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SON OF A!

IDIeselman

Oct 20, 2010
Lake Michigan
Well as most know, I have been fighting with the isolation and choke/balun with my Imax at 58' in the air. Today is the day to remedy that, so here I am at the very top plate of my 40' tower, hanging on with one hand and cuting the black tape away from the mast that was under the PVC with the other when a strong gust of wind comes along and down slides my mast pinching not only my two left fingers but worse yet my new 100' of LMR 400 now has a nice gash in it:censored: I wish I would have had three fingers under it and saved my LMR. Good news it's up according to the manufacturers directions with GP kit and No.8 copper wire from mast to 8' copper ground rod. Works beautifully! I guess the people who make them have a pretty good grasp on what makes them work<proof>. I swapped ends with the coax and taped up the gash that now is the indoor end and my SWR is 1.4 on 1 and 1.2 on 40. Does it look bad enough to replace it or do you think I can get away with running it for awhile?

shit-002.jpg

VSWR look good, if the shield is not broken and it is just the outer layer that is cut on the coax. Tape it up with electrician tape and use it. If it is inside with no exposure to the elements it should be fine.

Glad you got the IMAX working.

Reactions: 1 person
Great. Thanks guys, I'll run it as is.

At least put some Goop Tape or silicon sealer on it. Exposed shielding can still rust out and water can still migrate downwards along the inside of the sheld/coax. I read some time ago, where the water had wicked its way all of the way down into the back of a radio thru the PL connector. Don't know if its true or not; but we have all had run-ins with 'Murphy'. You don't need that.

Without removing the cut outer shield pull it back and put a coat of liquid electrical tape on the braid then while it's still wet wrap the nick with electrical tape.

glad ya finally got it going. how much of an improvement are ya seeing.
the coax id leave it inside as you stated and wrap it tightly with electic tape
and call it a day.

Well, the few I was talking with before claim I went from hard to hear at 20-30 miles to "7-9 on my meter" not very scientific but, I sure am hearing and talking to ALOT of people I never knew were out there. I can honestly say I would never recommend isolating the Imax 2000! This little experiment caused me more aggravation than I could put into words. The down side is my wife has went to bed alone for the last three nights while I stay on the radio talking untill 4:30-5:00 in the morning :oops:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.