• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Split27

nav2010

Sep 5, 2010
Got a Sirio 827 with broken radials? Got a 827 that's gone open circuit? Fear not, there is life in the old beast. I've taken an 827, removed the matching coil and turned it into an half wave dipole. Basically, removed the radials and matching coil and set the element length at 17 feet to begin with. Cut it in half and added a piece of fiberglass between the two elements and epoxied it into place with an inch gap. Drilled an hole at the base of the lower element near where it connects to the coil former and fed the coax inside the lower element up to the feed point where i'd drilled an hole in each element at the feed and pulled the centre feed through the upper element hole and the braid through the lower element hole. Bolted the feeds to the elements with stainless steel bolts. It took 20 minutes to tune and each element was at 98 inch when it tuned at 1.1:1 at my centre frequency of 27.78 megs. It tuned to 1.3:1 at 27.4 megs and the same at 28.5 megs so pretty wide banded. The good news is the 827 is already isolated at the base with its built in fiberglass isolating tube underneath the coil former. I used a TDK 61 mix ferrite level with the base of the lower element to choke the coax from the antenna. Works excellent and is basically the same design as a Gainmaster half wave. Good radio reports too so far. I've named it the Split27.split27.jpg

Last edited:

your signal is up to us in this locality vs the end fed you just took down (y),
turning the 5/8 end-fed into a 1/2wave dipole works better than most people would imagine,
no radials for birds to shit from is a plus.

did the same thing using 1/2 EMT conduit and YES tuned in at 98 inches, ( glad to see I was not incorrect as I started of at 102")
I used rg6 quad as coax and wound rf choke at bottom antenna, fed coax through bottom element and split it at feed point.

My vertical dipole is suspended in the air off the side of the tower, Dacron rope pulled through a pulley so the dipole is just a swinging in the breeze, but works, well locals said no difference in signal between dipole and old starduster that finally fell apart (RIP)
cheap easy and efficient.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.