• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Squeal in radio

07 pete

Jun 28, 2006
VA
I have a Genral Lee with a super wack pack. I cannot take the mic gain up above half way. If I do it squeals. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the squeal and get my mic above half way?

what kind of antenna system are you using ? What kind of mic are you using ? IM not sure what a wack pack is ? Do you use talkback ? IM guessing you more then likely have all kinds of audio , half way seems to be your feedback point , there can be a few reasons for that ,tell us more and welcome to the Forum.

Squeal

I am using a single Wilson 2000 antenna. My swr is 1.3. I have an astatic mic. I do use talkback but no external speaker. Could it be my ground? Super mini 8 coex 50 omhs. A wack pack is just an upgrade they say it is peaked and tuned. Thanks for the welcome.

Astatic power hand mic? You probably won't be able to take it above 1/2 way with the power mic turned all the way up and talkback enabled. Set your mic volume at 1/2 way, then set the radio mic gain at 12 o'clock. Then adjust one or the other until it doesn't squeal. BTW, you ever hear someone talk on a mic over a P.A. system in an auditorium, concert, p.a. etc? If you turn up the mic too much while the sound coming out the speaker, it squeals.

Anyway, you probably don't need to turn the mic gain up that high anyway with that mic. Ask others if it sounds ok when you run it so it doesn't squeel.

Oh yeah, the whack pack is from RadioActive Radios, right?

Sounds like a good antenna system with a good match Pete , D-104 Handheld power mic will get you feedback every time ,especially with talkback , as Mr Mole said , IM sure you have more then enough audio without the pig sound Pete , many a tuned radio with those mic's you really don't have to have a lot of audio for them to be loud and proud on them (there amplified) , pretty much what Mole said and you should be just fine . There are different settings for everything and IM sure you will figure out what's best for you , get it to where it doesn't pig you out and then ask for a radio check , there's a good chance that you will still be louder then hell , so don't think your not getting out because you can't turn everything up .......trust me Pete ,that's far from the truth. Let us know how it works out for you and good luck. P.S ......stock mic's and N.C mic's work pretty darn good as well , especially with talkback , and both type mic's help keep out any back ground noise that might be around you when your transmitting. SK

Errr. Does it squeal with the talkback turned off?

If so, you need a mike that won't hear your speaker. Or you need to turn off the talkback.

And if it squeals with the talkback off, that's a whole different problem.

nomadradio said:
Errr. Does it squeal with the talkback turned off?

If so, you need a mike that won't hear your speaker. Or you need to turn off the talkback.

And if it squeals with the talkback off, that's a whole different problem.

All good points....
The squeal is audio from the speaker getting back into the mike. Why do you need to run the talkback while you are transmitting? Use the talkback to tune the echo, etc. then turn the talkback off.
I would bet that whoever tuned on that radio messed with the audio amp circuit. They probably turned up the audio output circuit to driver the modulation with a stock microphone.. Now you have an amplified microphone.......too much audio drive. Try using a noise cancelling microphone like the turner 56.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.