• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Squire 100 "Bi Linear" "Amateur Amplifier"??

Here is a side by side of both units. (Squire & HB-140)
I got confused between threads, sorry.

If you watch real close in the video you almost get to see how much I have no freaking clue what i'm really talking about!
I mis-spoke in the video, they are the same pills, not a matched set though.

The HB-140 filter network would be rebuilt with new caps, and reinstalled in which ever amp I decide to use for the project build.
Is it is just that easy, I simply install the "filter network" box inline on the final output coax?
I know it's good science gentlemen, I'm going to filter.
I might just re-cap the filter board, and reinstall it on the HB-140.

Are all amplifiers widebanded, or are the transistors frequency range the most important factor?

I should have never tried to sound confident in the video, truth is i'm lost on amplifier design.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Yes They made an 455a stud mount DSC00178.JPG DSC00179.JPG

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
Thank you sir.
The TRW PT9784 in my HB-140 is a flange mount device, the datasheet also covers the TRW PT9784A which is a stud mount device also!

That's something for me to keep an eye out for "A variants".
Sweet, looks like I could use the 455A in the squire, if I can find them that is!

Reactions: NZ8N
As I stated earlier, MRF455A's are a stud mount version of the MRF455. If you scour Ebay, you'll see them pop up once in a while, but they aren't cheap. Last set of used pull MRF455A's I sold fetched about 100 bucks, before shipping.

I have swapped the heatsink 180 degrees in the past, but it works best if the case can "detach" from the heatsink, so that way you don't have to extend wires to the opposite ends.

Good luck! :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
As I stated earlier, MRF455A's are a stud mount version of the MRF455.

Man I gotta lay off of this backwoods phew, It didn't register that I was told what transistor to use already. Ouch on my part. :oops:
Pricey transistors no doubt!
I may just reuse the transformers, relay, heatsink, & build a new amp from that if the modern part (HG2290/2879) cannot be easily adapted to the existing pcb.

Thank you again Rick.

Last edited:
Okay Leap Frog, sorry I am so late to respond. Here are a couple of pics of the amp I have. Hope this is a similar amp.

Attachments

• IMG_5517.JPG
    IMG_5517.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    995.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    766 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_5522.JPG
    IMG_5522.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 635
  • IMG_5523.JPG
    IMG_5523.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 608
  • IMG_5524.JPG
    IMG_5524.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 597
  • IMG_5525.JPG
    IMG_5525.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 441
  • IMG_5526.JPG
    IMG_5526.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 479
  • IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 522
Have never used the amp so I don't know what it will do output wise. I know the transistors are not easily found per some others here. Again, hope these photos might help a little. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Reactions: LeapFrog
Okay Leap Frog, sorry I am so late to respond. Here are a couple of pics of the amp I have. Hope this is a similar amp.

The "Bimbo" variant I have is almost identical to this one, the only difference I can see is mine has the stud-mounted PT9784A's. Like I said previously, the only problem I ever had was one of the 4 relays needed replaced. All in all, it hasn't been the worst El-Cheapo amp I've ever owned.

Picked up a Hooker 100 for $20 yesterday, has TRW 9839's in it. Gonna have to find someone to go over it before I hook it up. Any idea what to expect out of it for power if those pills still function ?
20210110_125620.jpg
20210109_110256.jpg

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I used to think these amps were as rare as rocking horse s***,
the ones we had here had a light blue case & "100 BILINEAR" on the front, hi/low switch said pep/rms,

they use unobtainium for us TRW stud mount transistors,

now i see they came with different names colors & transistors, learned something today.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.