• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SR-955 SSB problem

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
:mad:Bought a new Stryker SR-955 and I believe somthin aint right. AM works perfectly. SSB has a seemingly intermittent problem. When I key up on AM my SWR is showin 1.1:1 But when switched to upper or lower sideband the SWR pegs across the meter to the "infinity" mark and the "high SWR protect" kicks in and shuts down the transmitter. No other adjustments were made(same frequency). However, today I believe I noticed a pattern. I believe when the input voltage is above 14v the problem shows up.

evidence:
First install- 2001 GMC K1500, using 10 ga wire straight to battery, Wilson 5000 mag--problem was intermittent, totaled the truck two days later

Second install- 2012 Chevy Malibu rental, cig lighter( RFpwr all the way down(2w deadkey with 6w swing), Wil5000 mag--problem intermittent

Third install- 99 Ford powerstroke, cig lighter, MFJ mag ant-- worked perfectly

Fourth install- 96 S10 cig lighter, Wil 5000mag-- with key off, all functions on the SR955 work perfect- Key on, engine off still works perfectly- engine running radio shows high SWR on SSB

One thing about that Malibu rental though, system voltage in that car would constantly fluctuate between 13.0v to 14.4v. Like the ECM was shutting the ALT/REG down and back on again. (for fuel economy maybe??)

ALL voltage readings are what is shown on the screen of the SR-955.:censored:

LOL I like that Tucker. The problem here is simple, you CANNOT run that radio off a CIG LIGHTER PLUG. You have a 100-125 watt radio that is processor controlled. Your starving the radio so the CPU is shutting it down.

Reactions: 4 people
Like all radios of this type it is better to disable the SWR and the TOT and a bunch of other stuff or else the radio will decide to shut down when it feels like it. have seen this problem with the cre, the anytone, the maxlog...the Hi SWR protection circuits have a mind of their own. Dissable them. Keep the Hi voltage just in case and you can have the SWR show when you TX so you can see what it is up to.

Reactions: 2 people
Dave hit it on the head - the SWR circuit in these types of radios is very sensitive and they have a mind of their own.

External SWR meter is the only way to go.

Reactions: 1 person
Verify,verify,verify.
My CRE works fine but I set up the SWR protection shutdown at a 4:1 ratio and verified my setup/hookup with an external meter. Can't find any brain matter under the case covers though. :whistle:

Looking at a Stryker 655HP on Amazon. Also looked at a 955HP but the review says that Stryker has virtually no support and that retailers are not wanting to sell it anyone because of that

Reactions: 1 person
That's because M42Duster is just not a happy man no matter what. All he ever has to say is negative comments about everything. Sad way to go through life being negative everything. If he got a brand new 1985 Cobra 148 GTL side mic radio he would say it was junk or would find many issues of problems with that radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.