• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SS158DX

Hillbilly360

Sep 24, 2006
KY
I've been hearing these radio's are being discontinued.Why,is there something wrong with them?I was getting ready to buy one next month now i'm hearing this!

For 465 dollars they can keep it. The 158 is a deal for what the price is. Might be like the old RCI 2960, if it don't sell well for a year they discontinue it.

Butcher318 said:
For 465 dollars they can keep it. The 158 is a deal for what the price is. Might be like the old RCI 2960, if it don't sell well for a year they discontinue it.

You got that right 318!I just don't see paying that much either.

lord......forgive me........but , i agree with psycho . seems like i read somewhere that the 158 uses the same board as the discontiued connex 4800 with ssb . can anyone confirm that ?

ya, its the old style board that connex, galaxy, ranger, general and a million other radios use.

the BOARD won't be discontinued. the RADIO will-replacing a $229 radio with a $500 radio is a smart business decision on RANGER's part. smart CBers would NOT buy the 69ffc2 & force ranger to re-introduce an inexpensive one. that goes for the $400-500 connex & galaxy radios too. like Carl says-THEY ARE ALL THE SAME RADIO.

I have two 158EDX radios and they use the 6900 board. These are outstanding radios. I also have a galaxy with this 6900 board but the components in the galaxy are not near the quality the RCI brand uses on these boards.

I have two 158EDX radios and they use the 6900 board. These are outstanding radios. I also have a galaxy with this 6900 board but the components in the galaxy are not near the quality the RCI brand uses on these boards.

thats cause rci builds them for several companies.and thier qc isnt as high as rci
alot of radios use the 6900 board.but rci and galaxy are 2 different companies
kinda like cobra and uniden and realistic.all 3 different companies but uniden
built them all...to the manufacture specs,even if theyt were lower then unidens specs

Thanks hotrod, I have been in radio for almost fifty years now and I am not sure I like the migration to surface mount components though. I have several Cobra 148's that were made by ranger and a couple by uniden and they are not bad to work on at all. But some of the newer disigned radios can be a real bugger.:(

Thanks hotrod, I have been in radio for almost fifty years now and I am not sure I like the migration to surface mount components though. I have several Cobra 148's that were made by ranger and a couple by uniden and they are not bad to work on at all. But some of the newer disigned radios can be a real bugger.:(

yup agreed.there also not made by uniden anymore either.what cobra148 did ya have
that was made by rci?curious

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.