• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Call Sign?

Swamp Yankee

Feb 15, 2024
Hello All,
I've noticed that when people are calling out CQDX on SSB they may use a name and a series of numbers. I know you do not need a license while talking on SSB, so where do the numbers come from, what do they mean? Thank You!

Reactions: AmericanEagle575

Friends decided that our little group needed numbers for cb. The picked the little series, and then their own; I got what was left as I wasn't present for that meeting. They started at 169, the guy who pushed this, took that one. The others picked their numbers 269, 369, 469. Out of the group, I was the only one not there, so they unanimously decided that my numbers were to be 569. I have kept those numbers ever since. I have added a little bit to it, so I'm not confused with another guy running those number in riverside. I now go by 569, the California diesel car.
I would suggest that you stay away from 151, there are a LOT of those. Another buddy started counting the times he came across someone with those numbers, and where they were. He said he might have to change his numbers so he wouldn't be the 14th guy in California with those call numbers.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I would suggest that you stay away from 151, there are a LOT of those.
Also stay away from any number related to guns or V8 engines LOL! There are so many of those it's silly ! Also seems to be lots that start and end in 9. Such as 949, 979, 989 etc.
But the all time winner I think is 357. There are a LOT of 357's everywhere it seems.

Best number I ever heard was a guy down in Arizona years ago who was 2 1/2 !

As always, Thank You for your time! So that being said, I'll use 243 / 2,4,3 the department I'm in at work...I currently have my radio's, meter's etc. The last thing I need to do is put up my antenna once the weather gets a little better...

Last edited:
Back when I first got into CB, I was testing my radio into a dummy load. I said "Check 1,2,3" and a local came back "4,5,6!" And it startled me so bad, I didn't know what to do. I switched back to the antenna and started talking to him. He asked me what my handle was, and I didn't have one. I had to think one up real quick, and happened to look at a part number that had 808 in it, and the rest is history.

Back when I first got into CB, I was testing my radio into a dummy load. I said "Check 1,2,3" and a local came back "4,5,6!" And it startled me so bad, I didn't know what to do. I switched back to the antenna and started talking to him. He asked me what my handle was, and I didn't have one. I had to think one up real quick, and happened to look at a part number that had 808 in it, and the rest is history

Back when I first got into CB, I was testing my radio into a dummy load. I said "Check 1,2,3" and a local came back "4,5,6!" And it startled me so bad, I didn't know what to do. I switched back to the antenna and started talking to him. He asked me what my handle was, and I didn't have one. I had to think one up real quick, and happened to look at a part number that had 808 in it, and the rest is history.
Sounds like a bad dummy load..

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.