• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Star Duster Adjustment

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Well I've decided to drop my Star Duster one time to check and make sure the Weep hole is still open before snow flies because I lost my first Star Duster because got water in it and froze then it split. But the main reason is 3 of my meters tell me that the antenna could be shortened but not by very much. Channel 1 is 1-1.1 and channel 40 is half of that. I know a lot of people would let it go at that but I would would like to see if I could get it Even across the band. My first thought is drop it a Half Inch to start. Any suggestions from the perfectionist in here who have done this before. I'm all ears !

Last edited:

Looks to me like you should lengthen it. 40 is a better reading than 1? Too short. Personally, I wouldn't screw with it. But, I get the OCD thing. One day it's going to kill me... LOL
Thanks for the input and yes I might have that reversed. Yes a lot would say leave well enough alone but I made a custom tip over mast because I got tire of asking friends for help, so it's not that hard to do. In this Stinking Valley I live in I like to Wring out every last drop of power I can out of my system. And checking that Weep hole is important to me.

Reactions: Riverman
I thought I had the market cornered on OCD. You mean others have it as well? :p

I agree on the lengthening. (y)
What is the OCD thing, that's one I haven't heard before. I'll check my readings again I might have listed them backwards.

If the SWR is lower on 1 than it is in 40, the antenna needs to be shortened. Greg and I misunderstood what you were saying.
No you and Greg had it right on the lengthen, I had it wrong as I first listed it. I had the listing reversed of what it should have been. Channel 1 is the better reading not 40 like I listed it first. You gotta forgive a 72 year old dude. LOL

No you and Greg had it right on the lengthen, I had it wrong as I first listed it. I had the listing reversed of what it should have been. Channel 1 is the better reading not 40 like I listed it first. You gotta forgive a 72 year old dude. LOL
Hold on. Now I’m confused.
Here are the rules. Apply them as needed.

If the SWR on ch 40 is higher than it is on ch 1, the antenna is too long and needs to be shortened.

If the SWR on ch 1 is higher than it is on ch 40, the antenna is too short and needs to be lengthened.

That should clear things up. (y)

Hold on. Now I’m confused.
Here are the rules. Apply them as needed.

If the SWR on ch 40 is higher than it is on ch 1, the antenna is too long and needs to be shortened.

If the SWR on ch 1 is higher than it is on ch 40, the antenna is too short and needs to be lengthened.

That should clear things up. (y)
Yes I use the same rules. The confusion started with me giving you the wrong information in my first post. My first post said 40 was better that 1 so you and Greg give me the correct info for that situation. In reality I should have told you 1 was better than 40. Hope that clears the air.

Yes I use the same rules. The confusion started with me giving you the wrong information in my first post. My first post said 40 was better that 1 so you and Greg give me the correct info for that situation. In reality I should have told you 1 was better than 40. Hope that clears the air.
Mystery solved! :giggle:
Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.