• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Star Duster

After months of using the Star Duster which I have never had before I can say it has been working unbelievably well! I have made local contacts of 100 miles etc.with a little help. I live in the mountains and I am in a semi bad location. I have a mountain on the other side of the road and my home is about 12 feet lower than the road also but the house is two stories. The picture shows the antenna from the second storey up. Example I give a local station 5 to 7 s units on my base and if I talk to him on my two mobile's in the driveway he only receives audio no meter movement. I have made so many contacts just amazed that I am so far away and the receive is just as good. It also helps that my 148GTL has very loud but clean audio complimented with a Extreme 2018 mic.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: 1 person

sirios version seems closest to the orignal.

I agree hotrod. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if the Sirio model has the radials slanted down as much as the original. I know some of the other knockoff's that I've had and seen over the years did not have radials slanted down near as much. I'm not sure how much difference this makes.

I agree hotrod. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if the Sirio model has the radials slanted down as much as the original. I know some of the other knockoff's that I've had and seen over the years did not have radials slanted down near as much. I'm not sure how much difference this makes.

in another post he mentioned the radials were bout 1 foot out or away from mast.
that sounds really close to the orignal.maybe even sharper than the original.
i dont know how to change 1 foot to degrees

in another post he mentioned the radials were bout 1 foot out or away from mast.
that sounds really close to the original.maybe even sharper than the original.
i dont know how to change 1 foot to degrees

Any measurement 1' foot away from the mast would not have been of much help in calculating for me, and that is way too close IMO.

I think I have a recollection about some measurements of the angle measuring the tips of the radial length maybe, and how far away the tip is from the center of the mast might be helpful in measuring the angle.

Maybe I even asked one guy that was installing a new Sirio about this time to get me some measurements from two points on the antenna. Then I could calculate the angle for the Sirio Starduster. But I don't have any recollections if we ever completed that idea or not.

Bob, I think you are right, and that is likely why I asked one of the guys back then what the angle was. I can't remember stuff any more.

nice any local reports in the 20-40 mile range????

In the 20 to 40 mile contacts is where I talk daily and is so typical I don't think about it any more. What I have found interesting is most everyone is in that range in another county and in the same county and I have to relay what each other says. It's hard to believe the receive could be better. Mine is a Sirio M-400 Star Duster and as their has been some talk about it being built cheap I'm not seeing it. There has been talk of other Italian made S/D's and also that Sirio may have also upgraded their own model so if possible get the latest version. I can't see how a different radio could talk better skip than another but I just purchased a President HR 2510 and every time I key the mic several people are coming back to even when I am trying to talk local?

Last edited:
Well guys I was around when 6030 was installing his antenna and it is a Sirio.

See here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/158877-how-do-you-adjust-swrs-star-duster.html

Again thanks to Marconi this S/D works as well as it does..he went above and beyond!! Hot Rod also. My new radio goes from approximately 26.000 to 29.999 and my power and swr levels nearly stay the same. The S/D is not a strong durable antenna if it ever fell down it would be destroyed. In others opinion the S/D is not the best antenna but mine will never come down to be replaced unless it gets hit by a hurricane Oh also is the picture give any idea on the angle of the radials?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.