• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Started modding my D104... turning out pretty good so far

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Well... I have been talking about doing this for a LONG time...

So I gutted it, shortened the neck, removed the keying bar, stripped the base...

Now I am faced with a few tough decisions...

1.) Stay with the semi-bushed look on the base? Fully polish the base (lots of sanding and polishing compound work needed), or go with a flat black or even crinkle or hammer black?

2) Heil Dynamic mic element OR MXL 990 compression mic element and circuity?

The Heil is direct hook up on most if not all radios... the compression mic requires 48v phantom power

ALSO WHERE can I find replacement chrome nuts and bolts for the mic head?

Don't use compression if you're going to rag chew. Use the Heil Dynamic element. Compression is best used for contesting or busting thru a pile-up to make contact with one of your friends, but can sound muddy or flat when used for normal conversations.

~Cheers~

Reactions: wavrider
I was given a box of D104's a few years back. Had about 6 in the box, and by the time I figured out what worked and what didn't, I had 3 working ones and some parts. Those screws for the head assembly are hard to come by, and I've never found anyone that had a good replacement. Kind of an odd bolt/sleeved nut setup. I painted my bases a satin black, and they looked really nice. Easy enough to tape the neck so you don't get paint on it. I never had the desire to do the shorty thing, but to each his own. One of the mics ended up with a Heil element in it, and it worked quite well with good reports. It was the HC-5, IIRC, and was a close talker but had good sound. Not as mellow as a Turner SSK, but not as punchy/bright as a D104.

Brett

Brett, I take the ones that don't work and pull the amps out then rewire them as a UG-8 nonamplified D104. They're great for SSB.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.