• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Static after Transnit that slowly fades away as radio sits idle.

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok I have a good question and hope Im not the only one thats seen this on my base station setups as many times as I have throught out the years. Its exactly as the post title says its a large amount of static right after keyup or transmit but as the radio idles it fades away until another key or transmit. I have a radio doing this right now and I havent seen this in a while but its doing it and Im curious if anyones ever seen this and have a reasoning for this? I have my thoery or ideas but am curious as to if others have seen or experienced this and what they found as a cause.

I have seen this. Fluorescent light fixtures was the cause.

Key down, then static and finally the NB would make it less but not eliminate all of it.

Only in CB rigs none of my HF rigs had any issues with the light.

M4 "grounding" I will see tonight forsure its grounding or not. I went out into the living room to my main desk and there was indeed the ground wire to my 11 meter setup hanging. I reatatched it and see if thats what causes this. I also have never had it happen on any of my other setups for the other bands and Ive seen it a few times but ONLY on my 11 meter setup which is weird.

Its crazy loud with static when Ide unkey and it would eventually fade as I listened but as soon as I keyed up or transmitted it started allover again. Static has been so damn bad Ide turn my squelch all the way clockwise and it didnt even squeclch ou the sound unles I backed the RF Gain down aswell LMAO!!! It was drivin me nuts!!!!

Hopefully its A fixed and was the ground being disconnected or B I figure it out. Ive seen fluorescent lights cause static which is why there are no fluorescent lights in my house or on my property LOL!! I had it happen with the light in an Iguanna cage years ago.

Had their been a fluorescent light here thats the first place ide have started forsure but as I said after the cage light problem Ide never go through that again and will never forget that noise it caused in my receive.

I have seen it before where the PA section (output section) or the amp afterwards has some type of oscillation but barely...and it fizzles out after a few seconds. But not convinced this is what you're dealing with. Heck..I've seen it in a few receivers as well.

Well it wasnt the ground wire and I messed around with the situation lastnight with no luck. Im gonna try 2 more things or ideas tonight and see if either of them work.

I only notice this on 6 meters. I have a simple 6 meter dipole fed with 75' of 9913. I have noticed this phenomenon with several 6 meter capable rigs (so it's not the radio) and each make the same sound.

My shack is well grounded. My dipole is around 30' high with nothing in close proximity.

When I let off the key there is a split second of silence or regular background noise. After this brief period, there is a loud rush of static lasting a second before fizzing out. It's the damnedest thing. I've never experienced anything like it at any of my previous QTH's.

Does this sound similar to what your hearing?

It has got to be something logical...maybe some parasitic or oscillation from something nearby picking up the TX RF and causing the circuit to become unstable in some nearby device then it settles down? Just throwing ideas out there. If anyone figures it out I am all ears.

Yes its crazy!! I even looked at the meteron my 2950DX amd seen it was 4 bars of just static after I keyed the radio and then as I watched it would slowly fade and come down to 2 bars of noise. Its so bad or loud M4 that it literally drowns out the group I talk with and one guy gives me 5-7 S-Units of solid signal and it even covers him up!!

As Ive said I have had this happen before and it would just go away on its own which is why Im puzzled or confused!! I just want to (Have to) know what causes this or why it happens and am surprised there isnt more vpeople who have experienced this or know someone who has!!

I guess only time will tell but I truly cant wait for this intermitent noise floor to go away!!! :censored:

If I was there..I would take my kenwood HT (has hf rx) and tune it to receive on the frequency it is happening on. Then have you transmit first having the ht near the equipment. Then see if we can pick up the noise after unkeying and listening on the ht. If we can then keep duplicating it moving around the house and area watching the signal strength go up or down to see where it is coming from basically t-hunting the noise source. It has to be something.

Edit..just thought also..it would be interesting as well to see how wide banded this noise is. If it is several khz wide then ten to one it is something going into oscillation as a result of RF getting into it and free-running.

Tony, does it do the same thing with the amp off, or only with the Metron on? It does sound like another solid state amp oscillating to me.

Metron's are not noted for oscillation problems but anything is possible. On the other hand, I have seen the basic 2950 chassis oscillate on more than one occasion. Usually when the radio is combined with the internal amp on high power versions. As I recall there is a variable cap in the radios final section that provides negative feedback to stabilize the amp. First, identify where the problem is through process of elimination. Metron or radio?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.