• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

static build up

jcordle

Aug 19, 2013
How can you stop static build up in the ungrounded side
Of your ant. during high winds and blowing dust?
Thank you

It is a Wilson 2000 on a mirror mount. And has vswr's
Of 1.2 +-.1 it built up enough static charge the radio was popping by the time I figured out wth was going on and
Unscrewed the ant. The dang ol' thing shocked the ever
Loving heck out of me. And rebuilt a huge charge in seconds. I say huge enough to really hurt grounding it out.

Use a carbon resistor of 470 K Ohms, from the hot antenna to ground.
Needs to be only 1/2 watt or so.
For my Inverted L on 160 i use the same ( 270K because that was in the junkbox 5 Watt) running 1000 watts into the system regularly.
Keeps the static from building up and has no influence on transmit/receive.

Excuse my ignorance for a minute. But where would I put
The cap. On the" hot ant." On the whip or on the coax or
On the radio? Because between y'all and me. I know exactly nothing about this stuff!

And thank you for your answers. I have called several
Cb shops and was told they have never heard of such a
Thing. But to leave the ant. Unhooked because the static
Could" hurt" my radio. But it only built up static in the
Dust storm yesterday in Texas. the winds were at 60 mph and the dust was thick enough you couldn't see.

...(edit) I have called several
Cb shops and was told... to leave the ant. Unhooked because the static
Could" hurt" my radio...

really??? did they tell ya to put your coax end into a mason jar too?:blink:

if you do leave your antenna "unhooked" all the time,......... what good is it?

bleed the charge to ground as justme posted.

your radio itself is grounded? right?

And thank you for your answers. I have called several
Cb shops and was told they have never heard of such a
Thing. But to leave the ant. Unhooked because the static
Could" hurt" my radio. But it only built up static in the
Dust storm yesterday in Texas. the winds were at 60 mph and the dust was thick enough you couldn't see.

Static build happened because the antenna is not grounded because of the design and the dry dusty air caused the static to build up. I have had it happen many times here in the winter when the air is dry and the snow is blowing. Usually the radio has a choke (coil) across the antenna terminal to ground somewhere and that takes care of the problem. I am surprised you are having the problem. I am even more surprised the CB place you went too hasn't heard of it. Since your antenna is center loaded it is more prone to that than a base loaded antenna which has a coil tapped to ground which eliminates the problem.

really??? did they tell ya to put your coax end into a mason jar too?:blink:

if you do leave your antenna "unhooked" all the time,......... what good is it?

bleed the charge to ground as justme posted.

your radio itself is grounded? right?

Well I would guess it is grounded? The outside screw on part is grounded. and the negative power wire. I am assuming that grounds the whole radio?

Do you have a ground wire from your mirror mount bracket to your door,door to door jamb? Is the radio's case grounded to a vehicle metal ground(preferably same point as radio ground point)? Do you have a static drain at the rear of your vehicle ?

Do you have a ground wire from your mirror mount bracket to your door,door to door jamb? Is the radio's case grounded to a vehicle metal ground(preferably same point as radio ground point)? Do you have a static drain at the rear of your vehicle ?

All of this will not solve the problem. The problem is the antenna design. There is no DC path to ground with the Wilson 2000. It is a series fed center loaded design that is not DC grounded. The radio should have a coil from the output jack to ground somewhere possibly as part of the harmonic filter that would bleed off static build up.

True story. I was installing a new AM site with a single series fed 160 foot tower. The tower was up and I was working on the ground system. It was early December and the air was cold and dry and windy. I stood up and leaned against the tower and WHAM!! The next thing I knew I was picking myself up off the ground. The tower had built up a tremendous static charge sitting there on a big ceramic base insulator. I took the static drain choke out and promptly jury rigged it up after using the jumper cables from fhe truck to ground the tower to the ground system I was installing at the time. Once was enough for me. The principles are the same. Series fed with no DC ground path.

Reactions: 1 person
i dont know if this will help but it has worked for me on my vehicles for years,,,,, i had the same problem static poping coming in radio touching antenna would get slight zap even sliding in and out of seat and touching door handle would get ya...... first thing is make sure radio is grounded, amp is grounded and antenna is grounded,,,, one way to make sure of this is unhook antenna from radio and it still powers up,, same thing with your amp if you unhook coax in and coax out and it still lights up then it is grounded, next is the antenna with a ohm meter check the coax shield on the radio end to ground and make sure it is not showing short,, the thing i do is have 2 rubber grounding straps from frame to the earth ground,,, that means i have 2 rubber straps that drag on the road as i drive along.... much like truckers used to do years ago to stop static buildup on loads,,,, just a few thoughts hope some help here 73s midnight special

you would not believe how many radio squealings and amp problems come from just radio not grounded right or amp not grounded,,,, what is happening is the ground that is for radio is not coming from ground wire on radio but thru the coax shield,,, some people call this ground looping.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.