• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

static build up

Please use Antistat straps that are made from conductive rubber or some other non sparking material like copper or aluminum for a car or truck, it is just too much of a fire hazard to use steel.
It has a tendency to create sparks.

Jeff

And what are you going to ignite?

You're talking an internal combustion engine, in an ambient atmosphere...not exactly working in an intrinsically safe environment. No different than the fool on bald tires with the belts showing driving past you on the highway...or the guy (like me) with studded snow tires.

Let's be realistic here...there are worse things to worry about if you're getting to the LEL or UEL when out on the open road (in other words, you're likely already dead).

Get my point?

I do not know where you live, but out here due to being so dry we still have a very high fire danger.
What will ignite?
Try dead dry grass.
I have seen guys dragging safety chains start fires on the side of the road, not uncommon during the middle of hot dry summers.
For Grins, go take a look at most manufactured Antistat straps for sale.

Jeff

Thanks. So if I look at the two wires in that circuit is there a way to tell which one's hot?

I do a basic wiring book

Touch one and see. You will immediately know which one is the hot wire. :D

NEC code dictates that the ground wire is either bare or green. The neutral wire is always white and the hot wire is the black (usually) or it could be red or possibly blue (rarely).

I do not know where you live, but out here due to being so dry we still have a very high fire danger.
What will ignite?
Try dead dry grass.
I have seen guys dragging safety chains start fires on the side of the road, not uncommon during the middle of hot dry summers.
For Grins, go take a look at most manufactured Antistat straps for sale.

Jeff

While we have a wetter climate around here, I had that cable deal all over the US...over 200k on the last truck alone. If you think about it, its floating in the air most of the time anyway. Maybe mine didn't touch that much? Never had anyone tell me it was sparking...I would think a truck driver would have said something the amount of miles I put on the interstate system.

As I said before, I went through a lot of the straps because they would freeze to the slop in the driveway...they would rip off the crossmember when you started to drive away.

While we have a wetter climate around here, I had that cable deal all over the US...over 200k on the last truck alone. If you think about it, its floating in the air most of the time anyway. Maybe mine didn't touch that much? Never had anyone tell me it was sparking...I would think a truck driver would have said something the amount of miles I put on the interstate system.

As I said before, I went through a lot of the straps because they would freeze to the slop in the driveway...they would rip off the crossmember when you started to drive away.

Well if they rip off your cross member I wouldn't do that
Again!
And thanks again for your thoughts and ideas on this
Problem of mine.
I'm going to have to find someone who knows how to do
All of this so they can go over it with me. so I can pick
Their brains and learn some more so I can do my own
Work on my radios!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.