• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Steel Whip Info

BigMike357

Apr 2, 2020
Hello,
I was curious after reading the threads on 108" and 102" whips what is the formula you are using
to get a 108" on the CB Band? I get anywhere from 102" to 104". I have had to use whips with
and without springs. I guess curiosity killed the fat man! Thanks Big Mike 357

The formula is only a starting point, it's something you can use to get you in the right zip code. The way the antenna is installed can have a big effect. Bumper mount it and you're likely to find you need to shorten it considerably due to capacitive coupling with nearby metal bodywork making it appear electrically longer. If you have a poor RF ground it'll need to be longer than if you have a good one, I have a very good RF ground on my vehicle installs so end up cutting whips 2-3" on antennas like a Sirio 5000. Install a spring and you'll need to shorten the whip because the spring increases the electrical length. A thicker whip will have more bandwidth than a thin one.

I've never needed even near 108" for a match.

My current DXing antenna (which I've never measured for physical length until just moments ago) measures 102 1/16". It is not an SS whip, but a copper pipe. It would be just a smidge short if tuned to 27.205. No spring, no riser, no additional length, and mounted directly to a puck. It would need to be shorter if mounted to a typical ball mount.

Reactions: Riverman
I've never needed even near 108" for a match.

My current DXing antenna (which I've never measured for physical length until just moments ago) measures 102 1/16". It is not an SS whip, but a copper pipe. It would be just a smidge short if tuned to 27.205. No spring, no riser, no additional length, and mounted directly to a puck. It would need to be shorter if mounted to a typical ball mount.
Copper pipe? Do you have any pictures of it?

Copper pipe? Do you have any pictures of it?

I do, but nothing detailed. I just whipped it up from materials on hand. The lower portion is 3/4” pipe, and upper 1/2”. The bottom has a cap soldered on with a 3/8 x 24 stainless bolt having a star washer on the inside and nut on the outside. That’s about it...nothing special.

8E070911-1B46-459C-98E2-EBFA0EB075D9.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.