• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stinger Board Real Output??

Robb - Turning times are better on the IRF520 - so you may need to stick with it...

IRF530 first...from VISHAY
IRF530.jpg

From VISHAY - THE IRF520

Eww ouch wrong duped pic...

IRF520.jpg

The 530 capacitance is higher - making it S L O W E R in response times.

To add, the capacitive effects also affect Attack and Decay times - here's a quikie look at the 13N10...

IRFto13n10.jpg

So even though the 13n10 are closer to the IRF530's in times, they have less residual GATE capacitance - which affects how the RF wave propagates into the part - sits there and drains off...

So in some instances the 13N10 - it's about the performance of a slower part but has a big advantage by using less gate "Coulomb charge transfer" or - how long it takes the capacitors in the circuit to "fill up " and exert their characteristics on the field effect device waiting for that charge...Gate Capacitance plays a role in how efficiently the Gate can make the junction switch states but in its design if it's small it can make the device act more like bipolar near the top and bottom of those rise and fall times - giving it an advantage of slope is more closer to the ideal sine wave it needs to be at the frequencies we can use it at..

It affects the rise and fall times, and you need to refer to the DUT circuit it may reflect other issues that pertain to how it performs in a highly inductive load versus RF.

Last edited:
I looked at the data sheets between the IRF520N and the IRF530N which I was told was a acceptable replacement, Looks like there is some substantial differences. just for the fun of it I uploaded the datasheets.

I also ordered the IRF520N from Mouser

Attachments

• irf520npbf-1228448 (1).pdf
    170.9 KB · Views: 2
  • irf530npbf-1228157.pdf
    181.5 KB · Views: 1
The IRF530 is too slow for 27 MHz. Probably okay at half that frequency.

Higher current ratings are accompanied by a lower limit on the max frequency it can amplify. The IRF510 will work at 50 MHz for the 6-meter ham band. The 520 not so much. But the 520 is okay at 27 MHz. The 510 has a lower power and current rating.

But the specs are formulated for using them as switches, not amplifiers. Makes interpreting the factory specs to predict how it amplifies a bit tricky.

Turn-on time and turn-off time are a good guide, but a fuzzy one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.