• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

StoneWall Jackson

Great sounding rig on AM...OK on ssb.
I prefer them to 2995's if you are primarily an Am talker.
If you do a lot of ssb, then the 2995 is the way to go
in a high powered base station. Although at that price
point, I'd be looking at a ham rig.
preacherman

I agree I love my HF rigs but still like my Galaxy 2527 and the other glorified CB radios I have for AM and there toys echo noise toys beeps voice changers and that kinda jargan. I cant seeem to justify paying $400.00 and up for a CB / 10 meter radio exspecially what these Magnum S-980s are going for you can buy an awsome HF rig for that and have propper cooling and everything even more than you will need or use but its still nice knowing your getting your moneys worth and not just paying for those extra channels you will never use but maybe 6 of them and paying for that 150 watts. Even people that have never messed with an HF rif that are overwelmed by its first appearence (which is normal) will love an HF rig once a good day has passed of getting familiar with it there clean sturdy and interesting to run and most people wouldnt believe the channels they have and options of receiving shortwave AM broadcast its all fun to scan through when bored.

its a 2517 with a baby amp built in, new style board and power supply. not the problematic ps's that were used in the saturns and 2527's

Carl said:
its a 2517 with a baby amp built in, new style board and power supply. not the problematic ps's that were used in the saturns and 2527's

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that it uses the EPT-3600 board, not the EPT6900 used in the 2517. If it did have the EPT 6900, I would have bought one.

But thats just me. So you say it sounds better on Am. From the vibes im getting it seems like people think it sounds like crap on sideband, since there being so insistant on how good it sounds on am

when you open most exports up these days just about every board says ranger on it

That is because the factory owned by Mr Peng is the one that cranks the boards out....but the customer that has them built tells the guys there what they want in them.
Even if they know they should build it better ( and some of them do) they just builld them like they are told.
Often some pencil pusher is who decides that "hey this transistor is 98 cents cheaper, and if we build 10,000 radios, we save almost 10 grand.
Sad but true.

Jeff

Audio that is sad but oh so very true and imagine its just gonna get worse now with gas prices screaming to the top floor of the price elavator. If they would take new technology and build to the old style specs from the 1980 - early 1990s there would be a product.

AudioShockwav said:
when you open most exports up these days just about every board says ranger on it

That is because the factory owned by Mr Peng is the one that cranks the boards out....but the customer that has them built tells the guys there what they want in them.
Even if they know they should build it better ( and some of them do) they just builld them like they are told.
Often some pencil pusher is who decides that "hey this transistor is 98 cents cheaper, and if we build 10,000 radios, we save almost 10 grand.
Sad but true.

Jeff

ROGER THAT JEFF!!!!!
~202~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.