• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange headache, eh I mean problem!

johng1970

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 30, 2012
Brookhaven, MS
Just thought I'd throw this one out there for anyone thinking they just threw a lot of money away on a new radio. I just got my FT-857D in yesterday, finished hooking it up, got it to connect to the local repeater, but haven't made any actual contacts on it. Today, I fought with it trying to get the auto-tuner setup (keeps complaining about not enough power). I hooked up a manual swr meter to try to figure out what's up. When the auto-tuner is on, I get zero power going out. When I turn the auto-tuner off, I get full power out and can adjust the swr with my antenna (screwdriver). A friend said he fought with it and the best he can say is remove the cable and use the auto-tuner manually.... Weird, but if it works, I'll do that. Just thought I'd throw this one out there in case someone else buys the same setup and has the same problem. The auto-tuner is a MFJ (not sure the modal # off hand, have to go look outside). It's their auto-tuner with the digital read-out. BTW, the screwdriver is nice!

-- kf5qeo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio