• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange issue 148 gtl

Spec2079

Mar 24, 2019
I have a 148gtl recently i aligned it is putting out wattage and modulation on my watt meter but has zero carrier cannot hear it on my test radio as well .

I have a 148gtl recently i aligned it is putting out wattage and modulation on my watt meter but has zero carrier cannot hear it on my test radio as well .
It sounds like it is now transmitting somewhere other than the CB band. When you say you aligned it, did you use a proper frequency counter, VTVM, scope, etc. ?
Doing an alignment without those things is not recommended !!!

i do have a frequency counter displays absoulletely nothing
But you said the radio has wattage and modulation ! If the radio has wattage and modulation it is obviously radiating a signal somewhere, so the frequency counter should be reading something ......... Might be time for a better counter maybe ?

If the radio has wattage and modulation it is obviously radiating a signal somewhere, so the frequency counter should be reading something
A wattmeter reading and a counter that ignores it tells us that there is a whole list of broken stuff here, maybe? A broken counter that someone fried with his linear will probably read zero. Forty years ago when inline counters were popular, lightning was the big risk, leaving them in line during a storm.

Maybe now is a good time to ask how many failed attempts have been made to the radio and abandoned at this point?

A radio that fails in some way, gets taken apart and "grows" a new fault while being worked on now has at least two things wrong with it.

This can be unfortunate. One fault can easily hide another one. If the radio has no transmit, for example, you might check for good mike audio. Or you might find that there isn't any only after the "no transmit" fault was cleared.

This one sounds like a "tangled web" radio that had three different folks poke inside, fail to fix it and moved on.

Maybe. History is everything when fixing a radio.

Reactions: Woody-202
Well here is an update I adjust l19 becomes intermittent since I can hear it on my test radio as i adjust it as for the am regulator gets super hot has been replaced as well

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.