• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

strange mod on taiwan 148?

479tx

Oct 12, 2011
Anyone know why someone would connect a diode between the two bias VRs in a Cobra 148? I have what looked to be a stock Taiwan Cobra 148 but I noticed a diode soldered across the final and driver bias adjustments (vr8 & vr9).

I'm going to upload a picture to show this. I plan to remove it unless someone tells me this was some kind of factory modification?

Thanks.

It's definitely not a factory mod, and there's nothing in the Cobra service bulletins about this diode. Looks like someone put that there in an effort to "volt" the final thru the bias adjustment. Remove that diode and reset the bias currents to about 25mA for the driver, 50mA for the final. Should be good to go after that. :)

~Cheers~

It looks to me that it has been there for some time.... possible factory add-on to correct some problem or deficiency? I would leave it and see how it performs them remove to see what the difference is....

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.