• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 447HPC2 & Texas Star HD

KK4JW

May 18, 2022
Kentucky
I have a Stryker 447HPC2 and a Texas Star 350HD. Haven't hooked the 350HD up to the radio, but am curious about trying it.

The radio peaks about 80W, and I'm thinking this is a little too hot for the 350HD, even though it is a high drive amplifier. My question here basically is can the 447HPC2 be turned DOWN to match up better with the amplifier? I've been told that PEP doesn't really hurt amplifiers, carrier power is what matters, not sure I buy that though. I absolutely do not mind at all to have my tech back the radio off some, but if it isn't needed, that's money and time saved.

Obviously this is the internet, and everything you read is true, so someone come spead some truth for me so I don't burn up some transistors, ha.

That only appears to adjust AM carrier and not the PEP.

Then that radio has been modified.

Properly tuned with a 75 watt carrier with amp on, that radio should swing true PEP around 30 watts or so into the amp. I know I had the same radio that was properly tuned.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Then that radio has been modified.

Properly tuned with a 75 watt carrier with amp on, that radio should swing true PEP around 30 watts or so into the amp. I know I had the same radio that was properly tuned.

Yep, obviously been modified as it peaks above the advertised 55W PEP..

Is there a "high power adjustment" in the radio, or is lowering the PEP as simple and backing off the audio some? Afraid of losing modulation loudness when I do that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.