• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 655HP

Galaxy 959

Feb 2, 2014
Arkansas
What do yall think about the Stryker 655HP? Would you choose it over a Galaxy Radio like the 94HP? Do they have the cold solder joints and things like Galaxy has? Is Stryker a good quality radio? Thanks for any info.

That or an optima mk3 or magnum 257hp for that matter!! No bells and whistles. Just good radios. JMO.

The 655 is a loud audio radio but no SSB. The 94HP is a lso a loud audio radio and has SSB. Not too much thinking needed for me. I like the galaxys myself. I've got a 94hp and a 98vhp. I've had the 955 and didn't like the channel rejection or how noisy it was. Plus manufacture help is next to zero. Its hard to get any reply from emails or phone calls from Stryker!

I have had many a galaxy radio, and unless they have magically fixed the drift issues, they aren't that great on SSB, AM okay, and yes they have loud audio but so does the magnum 257hp and I promise it will knock the doors off most galaxy radios IMO. The magnum. 257hp has some very loud audio and will do 80-100 watts, just need a good fan to keep the amp on the back cool. As a matter of fact the one I have now does 80 watts on am and around 90-100 watts on ssb. It screams!!! But I would not run it this way without a full time good brushless fan, I use a 3" pico brushless 12v fan that will take a finger tip off. Radio stays cold. But if you are set on the galaxy radios, like said the 94 or 99v2 aren't bad. I have just had too many galaxy radios and with the drift issues on ssb, they aren't worth it IMO. The other radio I mentioned is more suited for ssb use but can be made to sound good on am, and that's the optima mk3. I just like my magnums I guess, maybe luck of the draw but all 3 that I own get my name called always!!! Have talked from michigan to Florida while travelling down 75 talking dx around the world. I have never had problems getting out as long as conditions permit. There are a couple of forum members that I have spoken with using this setup and all have asked if I was on a base station!! It's all a matter of opinion at some point though and it's you that has to make the final choice, take your time and research for a long time, this way you can see both sides of the coin. Then buy the radio that will make YOU happy!! God bless and good luck in your search.

I've had a gaggle of Galaxy radios too. I've also never experienced gross drifting as many users mention.

I use my 94HP frequently on 10 meters. I find it a joy to use. I might have to occasionally reach out and tweak the clarifier a bit, but I was raised on old drifty rigs and just consider it part of OPERATING a radio.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the drift on galaxy radios is way overrated and it's mainly an issue when the temperature changes. As long as the clarifier is open, you're always able to Tx on the right frequency, just like the 257. I align multiple galaxies each week and I am more and more impressed with them. Remember, they come from the makers of the rci2950 and 2970.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person
Mr 959:

If you don't talk ssb, no need to upgrade to the 955. The 655 and 955 are great sounding radios....superb, in fact. You will get a lot of bleed through. Longhair is right about the service from Stryker but in most cases, you don't ever have to talk with them. Deal with their auth svc center, Key CB. They're good.

The 955 has excellent ssb with no noticeable drift and again, the audio is great.

The 94 is in the same class for power. It will actually do more than the Stryker. The galaxy uses 1 mosfet to drive 2 mosfets to drive 4 mosfets (1x2x4). The Stryker uses ( I believe) a cobra 29 driver, 2078 class C transistor (which I thought was strange especially for the ssb model) to drive one MOSFET to drive 4 mosfets (1x1x4). The final stage gets about 65% the power input that the galaxy final stage gets, thus the lower power readings. If you're talking pep, I would say 80 watts compared to ehhh, 120 watts ssb. That sound about right duster?

For trouble free use, and a radio that can be easily worked on by a half way decent tech, get the galaxy.

But hey, half the fun is trying new stuff. Personally, is love to have an old Stryker 490 for AM. One of the best AMer's ever. Also had one of the best receives I've ever used.

Last edited by a moderator:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.