• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 AGC mod..Anyone?

Almost 2 weeks now with the 955 and my locals and DX contacts all say the audio is perfect, mid range and not too loud, I'm using the stock mic, I did try the 577 mic and some said it sounded more full others said the stock mic sounded better. I have to say I was wondering what all the issues were that people are talking about but I have no experienced any issues at all. Just a great all around radio with excellent receive. I'd like to hear what M42Duster has to say about them if he has one.

yes they transmitt great!! ,,

the receive audio on ssb is overloaded / digitized sounding, not full clean audio like other radios that I have.,, with that problem and the one day it lost all receive I had a total of 3 different 955's here and they all sounded bad on ssb receive.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
yes they transmitt great!! ,,

the receive audio on ssb is overloaded / digitized sounding, not full clean audio like other radios that I have.,, with that problem and the one day it lost all receive I had a total of 3 different 955's here and they all sounded bad on ssb receive.

I agree the receive gets overloaded, but I like others just turn the RF gain knob down and it solves the problem. Whats the big deal? I have ZERO problems while in the SSB mode. It rocks.

I don't have any digitized sound. Just good receive, and I can understand everyone on the air.

Maybe I just got a good one. I have learned all of its idiosyncrasies I guess, and it works great for me.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
ya I tried turning the rf gain back,, we have a few people that get on in the evenings on ssb and we have a couple guys that are 30ish miles from me that would overload it and they arent even running any high power,, yes turning the rf gain back helped a little but i had to turn it so far back that ,, then i could barely here the other guys that i talk with that are 50-70+ miles away.

the rf gain really didn't help the radio's that i had,, especially when dx is really coming in good,, then you couldn't here the really weak stations

i even tried mine in the mobile and same thing.

out of all the radios that i have had and have now this one is the only one that had issues like this so i know it wasn't anything with my set-up,, many others are reporting the same issue.

Not too long ago, I had a Magnum S-9 that belonged to a local op that had a similar problem. Never could find the problem, but by re-tuning the 1st receive coil and then re-aligning the rest of the receive coils, it was no longer distorting. Used a SINAD meter and a sig/gen. Of course, the shop is where your radio belongs and see if they cannot sort this issue out. IOW, it is not always the AGC that creates the distortion.

Last edited:
The "big deal" surfaces in local and long distance QSO's.

Hmmmmmmm! Well I've had some good QSO's 8,000 miles away and it worked pretty darn good.

I totally agree that the radio is not perfect, and just because I have one doesn't make me an advocate for the brand. It does have it's problems. My Cobra 29 LX is loud also(no ssb though) I haven't really been into SSB that long , so I'm sure I still have a lot to learn. You guys sound like you know what your talking about, so I'll just take your word on it. No way will I get rid of it though. It's just to darn fun.

Again I have zero problems talking on SSB. That includes 10 and 11 meters. I've made many DX QSO's and the majority was drift free, and totally understandable on both ends.

Hell, if there is a fix I'm all over it. Let me know what you find. A good operator is always looking to improve his Radio and RST.

The thing is the radio should not be like that at all especially for the price they are sell for $360 - $499 usd. it is ridiculous to find problems like that is such a high priced piece of junk

Reactions: BammBamm
drifter 291, I have had a ton of radios come through here the last few years and other than my Yaesu 101E the rest all kind of do the same thing just some worse than others. I think the manfactures are trying to get a sensitive receive so you can hear the far off stations, this skip isn't going to be here forever and there will be times we are going to want to hear that ground wave guy that's 20 to 30 miles or more away.

I really like all of the features of the 955, VFO or clarifier unlock that you can change the steps to go anywhere. Makes it easy to find those in between channel people and listen to them. I'm actually going to send my 955 back for an output problem, if I turn up the power past half way I get a carrier on SSB. They sent me 2 grounding lugs to solder in place on the back of the board to the chassis but that didn't work. Anytime I go past 40 watts it does it but AM seems to be ok. They give you a 3 yr warranty so why not let them fix it.

I really like all of the features of the 955, VFO or clarifier unlock that you can change the steps to go anywhere. Makes it easy to find those in between channel people and listen to them. I'm actually going to send my 955 back for an output problem, if I turn up the power past half way I get a carrier on SSB. They sent me 2 grounding lugs to solder in place on the back of the board to the chassis but that didn't work. Anytime I go past 40 watts it does it but AM seems to be ok. They give you a 3 yr warranty so why not let them fix it.

Sorry to hear about the radio. I would send it back for sure. The 955, and 655 both have like you say a 3 year warranty. I think its cool that Shawn at Stryker would let you solder on it, and not worry about warranty issues.

FogDog I'm 60 years old, been messing with radios since the late 60's so I know what and what not to do and what not to turn. Guess the Stryker guys figured I would not wreck the radio

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.