• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 AGC mod..Anyone?

drifter291

Sep 23, 2010
Stryker 955 AGC mod
Anyone know of a mod to do to the Stryker 955. It suffers the same problem as the early versions of the Anytone 5555 on SSB as I believe the agc is too fast and slowing it down may fix the strong signal overload problem. I would love to be able to fix this. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thanks

I was told several times when I sent mine back that its all normal.. so mine went down the road to someone else,, too bad they don't have a fix

I sent an email to a Shawn at Stryker Radios Here is his reply back below -

"Hi Steven,

I've not heard of that before, but there are a couple of resistors that can be played with to change the timing of the AGC circuit. I'll find those this afternoon and forward them tonight.

hank you,

-Shawn"

So whenever he gets back with me I'll try to play with it and see what I can do?

never heard of that problem? really??. ssb sounds so bad on the 955 I sent mine back 2 times then the 3rd time they sent a new radio and it had the same issue on ssb receive

I don't see how it could be missed? I have seen the Anytone 5555s having the same problem and someone came up with a mod for it..Have also seen the latest Anytone 5555 Version 6 with the problem corrected.

I have seen a video of the New Lincoln 2 up on you tube and I got to say it doesn't look good as I it sounds like the problem is there as well.

I don't see how it could be missed? I have seen the Anytone 5555s having the same problem and someone came up with a mod for it..Have also seen the latest Anytone 5555 Version 6 with the problem corrected.

I have seen a video of the New Lincoln 2 up on you tube and I got to say it doesn't look good as I it sounds like the problem is there as well.

Just noticed there is a whole thread on the Lincoln 2

I have the 955, and I use SSB everyday, and it works great. Never had so much fun. I guess I'm easy to please. I have absolutely no idea what a AGC Mod is. Of course I would be interested about it. I am fairly new to the side band world though.

AGC=Automatic Gain Control. Think of it as an electronically controlled RF gain. The idea of an AGC is to provide a fairly constant signal level. Without it you'd be continually having to raise and lower the volume as a weak station would sound very quiet so you'd up the volume only for a strong station to come along and blow your speaker to bits its that loud.

On an AGC with a fast decay you'll see the signal level of a station go up and down rapidly as they speak. On an AGC with a slow decay you'll see the signal level maintain more of a constant. There are up sides and down sides to both and the trick is to find a happy medium that gives a fairly constant signal strength for a received station but without keeping the gain high for so long that other problems occur such as interference from close by stations or if you've a strong station and the AGC is lowering the gain, keeping it low so much you can't hear weaker stations.

Yep, I will agree, after several months of rough use in my mobile, the magnum 257hp I have is definitely a good radio. Used daily I talk around the world on 11m ssb on 38lsb. IMO, add a fan to the heat sink and let her rip. I have had very long conversations, some up to 2hrs, non stop, and never been told that it drifts or has any loss in signal. Good radio for the money, hopefully magnum will step up and make some good radios this year. Supposed to have some new radios coming. And as far as the cobra 2000, that's on my watch list right now for a base setup. I am limited to mobile currently until I go get permits from the city to put up my old school Antron 99. One I these days. And also the stryker 955hp has seemed to be a big hit and has had good success as well. Haven't heard about too many issues with them. Pretty much like any other radio, sometimes you get one that's perfect and sometimes they need to be adjusted. I was fortunate that my magnum 257hp was on frequency and power levels were perfect from the factory. All I did was the 11m mod and also turned up the gain inside the mic. Other than that, it's never had any work done to it. And like I said, after months of rough use in the mobile, it's still working well. This is JMO. God bless.

I have a bunch of different radios here and got a new 955 today, let me say that with the RF Gain wide open on the 955 it hears everything, much more then the rest of the bunch here so there is no problem for me to just back down the RF Gain to get rid of the adjacent channel crap and it still hears as good as the others or better. The 955 is a hell of a good radio

I have a bunch of different radios here and got a new 955 today, let me say that with the RF Gain wide open on the 955 it hears everything, much more then the rest of the bunch here so there is no problem for me to just back down the RF Gain to get rid of the adjacent channel crap and it still hears as good as the others or better. The 955 is a hell of a good radio

So you don't feel that the SSB is bad? I see both sides of the fence...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated