• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 NPC/swing mod

Instead of hacking the radio for more average power... Just get an amp
Good idea. Need to find one that will take a drive like that. Most CB amps take really low power. Like my CB amp has only 2 watts in. Can’t do that with these 10 meter radios. But some of the other amps require high input. So I don’t know, not sure what to do. Think I will try to the Channel expansion and leave the rest of it as is.

Yes, you can.
C68 is the spot you connect 100 Ohm/1n4148 combo. As marked on the attached image.
Also I would disable AM limiter, NPC will take care about it. Remove D28 for that.
View attachment 37211
View attachment 37212
View attachment 37213
Mike
Given how small and fragile the surface mounted devices are in this radio, I’m almost afraid to do this and risk damaging or dislodging the component that you solder these mod parts onto.

Reactions: Slowmover
Given how small and fragile the surface mounted devices are in this radio, I’m almost afraid to do this and risk damaging or dislodging the component that you solder these mod parts onto.

Yes be afraid, that's good. If you don't know what you are doing or have the right equipment you will have a heck of time working on the pieces.

I recently did the mod on a Lincoln II and was able to get a resistor/diode combo attached but I honestly don't know if I'd do it again with my equipment. I could barely see what I was doing - you really need a good magnifying setup to make sure you don't get solder onto other places.

I also went to do the NPC Mod on the new McKinley but the location to attach the combo was too small to even attempt with my equipment so I didn't do it.

Yes be afraid, that's good. If you don't know what you are doing or have the right equipment you will have a heck of time working on the pieces.

I recently did the mod on a Lincoln II and was able to get a resistor/diode combo attached but I honestly don't know if I'd do it again with my equipment.

I also went to do the NPC Mod on the new McKinley but the location to attach the combo was too small to even attempt with my equipment so I didn't do it.
Yeah I’m not gonna do it. Don’t think it’s worthwhile. I did the 11 meter expansion on it (removing one diode) which worked perfectly. Quitting while I’m ahead. Got great on air reports with the radio as is so not gonna touch it.

Good call - if you have the Lincoln 2 - like I said unless you need a low deadkey of under 2 watts with swing no need to do it. I have a amp that only likes less than a watt so I did the mod and it worked well but that crap is so small for soldering with traditional equipment. Most techs who work on that stuff have special SMT stations designed for it. I sent you a PM with images of my install so you can see the difficulty.

Sp5it was super helpful as well and had all the info for this mod.

C68 stay in place. As marked on the attached image.
The mod did work. But for some reason go to SSB then back to AM and then only 1/4th of power output until about 30 seconds then it works again. So I went to remove mod and C68 wouldn't stay on board. But the radio still works exact the same than when I installed the mod. With C68 removed? I didn't attempt reinstalling the mod. But thinking about it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?