• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955 receive static interference

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Whilst driving with my Stryker 955, as soon as i hit a town or small areas with store lighting and traffic lights i get an increased RF noise through the unit.
I read about this and most people reviews also touch on rhe subject. Just a quirk that one has to live with?

Do you find the frequency selector dial \ knob when turning clockwise or anti clockwise sometimes skips selecting channel?
Example, I'm on channel 21, turn frequency dial clockwise to 22 , it clicks but channel 22 is not selected. Kinda misses a beat.

why not contact Stryker , they are real good about helping you with a problem and telling you just what needs to be done.

most of the ones I have seen like this you can just start to turn the knob and some will change the channel. my magnum 3000B base does that. I think it only has about 3 wires going to it. I can just start to turn it a little and it will change channels up the band and never actually turn the knob. I talked to Sam when I 1st got the radio and he said that was normal.

most of the ones I have seen like this you can just start to turn the knob and some will change the channel. my magnum 3000B base does that. I think it only has about 3 wires going to it. I can just start to turn it a little and it will change channels up the band and never actually turn the knob. I talked to Sam when I 1st got the radio and he said that was normal.

Indeed, just a slight turn even before engagement nof the click it changes channel.

Whilst driving with my Stryker 955, as soon as i hit a town or small areas with store lighting and traffic lights i get an increased RF noise through the unit.
I read about this and most people reviews also touch on rhe subject. Just a quirk that one has to live with?

Good question. Yes you have to live with it, but usually its not a show stopper. With cities or towns having more electrical and electronic equipment you get more RF Noise radiated all over the place. More people more RF Noise.

Using DSP (Digital Signal Processor) External Speaker can pretty much remove this type of noise allowing a quieter receive.

This in city RF Noise comes from power lines, welding shops, florescent lights, computers, car and truck ignition systems, and many other sources.

In major larger cities there is enough RF Noise generated to travel long distances, and even travel over the curvature of the earths surface. While at sea on a commercial fishing boat, at a distance of say 60 to 100 miles were local AM Broadcast radio signals sometimes are not received, as they are miles over head not hear able. So the RF Noise from the Los Angles City can be tuned in and DF (Direction Find) to indicate the ball park direction of the city from out at sea. Just as seeing the light from a big city bouncing off high clouds far away.

Just recently having sever power line noise take my receive out from DC to Light, at 20 over. I called the local power company and the engineer showed saying he know which power pole was causing all the frying bacon RF Noise. Driving around while listening to the AM Broadcast Radio in his company truck he noticed the AM Radio being jammed by being under the nearest telephone pole, and verifying it with a noise detector as being the rf noise source. He said I never seen one this noisy, in my many years of trouble shooting rf noise problems. They came out and fixed while I was at work, so, I didn't get to see the repair work.

Jay in the Mojave

I’ll triple-endorse the DSP Speaker “cure”.

As a truck driver with rig on almost constantly (5-600/mile days) the ability to hear around the noise is what you’ll most come to value.

Much is eliminated (speaking relatively). What remains is now audible (can be understood without making good guesses).

Adjusting RF Gain & Squelch isn’t ever quite linear. “Enough” is usually too much.

(It is also my current opinion that ANYTHING & EVERYTHING I can do to reduce the noise “heard” by the transceiver is money & effort well-spent).

The DSP speaker or module is the clean-up.

It isn’t quite hyperbole for me to say that this item will change your life.

When radio is a tool, not just a hobby, the radio will have been turned off all too often due to non-stop noise.

Turned off so often that DAILY is information missed which was applicable to the task of driving. DSP speaker filtration reduces those turn-it-off moments to only the worst areas

Heights pleasure in listening in all ways.

I have used the West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker for about 2-300k miles in the past four years. Bounced thru oilfield with it. Wouldn’t be without it.

8723A160-A7B8-4D47-B416-4014D79EA861.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.