• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-89MC notations and frequency expansion

ButtFuzz

Anti-BS Advocate ● WO0WOO ● Reverend Doctor
Aug 11, 2005
Sunny Salem, VA
robco.ath.cx
First thought: Attempt to get the NEW version of this radio, which has switchable H-L power... this will make it so you don't have to desolder the "HI" solder bridge to get low power... Another advantage of the NEW version of this radio is the switch-able and improved NB and ANL circuitry, as well as a MOSFET final that will give you ~5 more watts peak power on AM.

Here's the pic of the innards of the OLD version...
stryker 89MC 001.png
Removing the solder bridge in the encircled area will lower the carrier and GREATLY improve the perceived transmit audio in this radio. Again, this is not necessary in the NEW version of this rig, as it has menu select-able Hi-Lo power. In either model, turn W4 (red arrow) **GENTLY** with a plastic tool to increase modulation. DO NOT attempt to remove the AMC.

Frequency Expansion:
Solder / desolder jumpers at OP1 & OP2 to get the desired frequency expansion, or none at all. Typical USA 'freeband' use would be achieved by leaving (or replacing if missing) a solder bridge at OP1 ONLY.

stryker 89MC 002.png

Enjoy!

Reactions: tecnicoloco

How does one verify the new version vs. the old? Is there any type of serial number or something to distinguish it by?

I apparently have the old version, as I had to do the carrier mod to drop it from 8 watts down to 3, on a dummy load. I also do not have the noise blanker or auto noise limiter on mine.

BTW I can't see the pic of the old one you posted.

From the factory, the newer one has no solder bridge over the "HI" position on the circuit board... and you can change Hi-Lo power with the menu on the HH mic. I believe this is also indicated in the literature and the box of the 'new' model, as well as the NB feature.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.