• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-955HPC AM/FM/SSB

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I hear more and more people love this radio on am and ssb. clear and loun audio. do they drift and can you but one new in the box and easily convert it yourself. or does it need a complete tune up and conversion. Thank you!

i would like to set one up as a portable, 110v power supply, cig lighter plug and maybe a battery,

hope someone here replies with a review, JUNK or NOT ?

I've heard they are a good radio as long as someone is not trying to squeeze every watt they can it out of them. They are rock solid on SSB, and do well on AM as well. But for the money you can just about get an HF radio.
Also. No way would I run one off a cigarette lighter plug. They draw too many amps!! You need a good power supply to run these radios. Something with at least 15-20 amps minimum. Even a battery isn't going to hack it. You need a good power supply and a good antenna system as well. The radio from all the reviews I have read is a good radio. To me they are a bit over priced. Like I said, for not much more you can get a damn good used HF radio or even a basic new one. Which on SSB will do a better job IMO. But I'm sure there will be others that disagree. Also having a good tech to tune and align the radio is a must. No golden screwdriver type ones! There is a lot of info about this rsdio floating around the forum here. Just have to look for it. Hope this helps. And have a good one.

I've heard they are a good radio as long as someone is not trying to squeeze every watt they can it out of them. They are rock solid on SSB, and do well on AM as well. But for the money you can just about get an HF radio.
Also. No way would I run one off a cigarette lighter plug. They draw too many amps!! You need a good power supply to run these radios. Something with at least 15-20 amps minimum. Even a battery isn't going to hack it. You need a good power supply and a good antenna system as well. The radio from all the reviews I have read is a good radio. To me they are a bit over priced. Like I said, for not much more you can get a damn good used HF radio or even a basic new one. Which on SSB will do a better job IMO. But I'm sure there will be others that disagree. Also having a good tech to tune and align the radio is a must. No golden screwdriver type ones! There is a lot of info about this rsdio floating around the forum here. Just have to look for it. Hope this helps. And have a good one.

i have one its a good stable radio. as long as people keep the golden screwdriver out of them. gots all the bells and whistles. if your into beeps and echo. me personally hate beeps and echo. flashing lights. i bought mine when they first came out. used it once and put it back in the box.and there it will stay.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Sounds as if you went the HF radio route. Am I correct?? They just do so much better on SSB and if setup right can be made to do well on AM. That or you got a radio without all the bells and whistles. I am the same way. I almost bought one, but went the HFradio route, winning a kenwood ts140s for about $300 shipped and also getting an Icom 746 fresh back from Icom services and all bugs worked out. I now use the Icom as my main base radio. It all depends on what you are looking for I suppose. Your thoughts jon666??

Sounds as if you went the HF radio route. Am I correct?? They just do so much better on SSB and if setup right can be made to do well on AM. That or you got a radio without all the bells and whistles. I am the same way. I almost bought one, but went the HFradio route, winning a kenwood ts140s for about $300 shipped and also getting an Icom 746 fresh back from Icom services and all bugs worked out. I now use the Icom as my main base radio. It all depends on what you are looking for I suppose. Your thoughts jon666??

i have 2 ham radios a kenwood ts2000
and a yaesu ft 450d

i would like to set one up as a portable, 110v power supply, cig lighter plug and maybe a battery,

Its a superb radio. Not sure I understand how you plan on running it. If it's a base use a power supply rated for at least 15 amps. If it's a mobile setup go straight to the battery for power. No no no on the cig lighter plug for that radio.

Told him the same 9C1Driver! No way on the cigarette lighter! It would either burn the radio up or the circuit for the cig lighter. And I don't mean just the fuse!!
As a base radio, the MegaWatt S350-12 would work very well with it. That or even the S400-12. At least 15-20 amps needed thought as its a 70+ watt radio depending on how it's been tuned. JMHO's. And it wouldn't be efficient running a power supply in the car for it. Just go to the Batt with it on the Positive terminal and also add an inline fuse block at the battery. Ground it to frame either to a seat bolt or under the dash to the steering column area or around there. Again, JMO's.

Reactions: L2

Sorry about this post, i had to many windows open, i meant to post it on the thread about the Stryker SR-89MC .

That radio might be able to be run off a cig lighter outlet. Power supply wise, a 10amp one would work fine I would think.

Hello Grogan: Yes this is a great radio. I bought one from Bells CB and a noise cancelling Mic and the Wilson Chrome external speaker that sounds absolutely great to my old fart ears.

I used a cigarette lighter as a temporary power source. Then wired into the auxiliary batter buss. Works great, has all the bells and whistles and is BOF ("Button Olgy Friendly")

Yeah the ham radios are better and I have a few, but I wanted a easy to operate, easy to use radio with pretty lights and such. I really like the light Brightness / Dim function as I have the radio mounted on the Dash just above the steering wheel so that my eyes don't have be off the road that much while using the radio. Turning the brightness down to the min is great for driving at night. It also has a very good Noise Blanker that is very important for mobeling.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

spelling and punition is good enough for whos it for

Reactions: radioreddz

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.