• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker "tune up" clarification

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I've seen a lot of comments and posts on other forums about the Stryker needing "tuned up" to achieve it's full potential. Since I'm not allowed to be a member of some of the other forums to comment on my own experience with the radio, I'll just try and help clear up what is really going on with the "tune up" here.

There are no modifications necessary to get this radio performing at it's full potential. The only thing that my radio required was a RX & TX alignment because it was off from the factory. I know that most shops will want to charge for this and call it a "tune" because it's the way they make an extra buck. IMO, any respectable shop should check the alignment of a brand new radio before it goes out without charge. A proper alignment on my radio accounted for 25 more watts!! Also, the noise floor dropped significantly when the front end was set to spec. If you want to pay to have someone do a Mosfet front end mod that's fine, but I really think people will be pretty happy with it like it is.

I'm told that the alignment procedure will be publicly available soon. Hopefully that will de-mystify the "tune up" that some of the shops are charging for.

Just my two cents.

Moleculo said:
I've seen a lot of comments and posts on other forums about the Stryker needing "tuned up" to achieve it's full potential. Since I'm not allowed to be a member of some of the other forums to comment on my own experience with the radio, I'll just try and help clear up what is really going on with the "tune up" here.

Who will not let you on what forum?

haha why you want to go over there for?Did you ever try and join?What happen should have given the all go sign i would think..

Go ahead and join.

If they don't like what you have to say they won't approve your post from the queue, rule violation or not.

My Stryker is doing fine. The only question I have is, what should the low/high deadkey supposed to be? I bought a Dosey meter (TR-1000 mobile w/lit face) and I know that they are not dead-on accurate, but it should be in the ballpark. Mine shows 2 watts on low (normal, I think), but on high, it shows a deadkey of 23 watts. :shock:
I have been asked what radio I'm using and one of our drivers went right out and bought one, he liked the sound of mine so much.

I wasn't starting the thread to bad mouth other forums, but rather to try and help those thinking of buying this radio with some practical information.

But there is more than one place where I'm not allowed for some unknown reason. However, it's nice to see that at least my two cents here is respected enough to be indirectly referenced :naughty.

On the power settings on mine, I show a 2 watt carrier on low and a 10 watt carrier on high. Make sure you're measuring it with the mic gain down, otherwise it will read all over the place.

After using it for a while with the stock mic, I'm not sure I'm crazy about that mic. I have a little bit of a deep voice and was told that the stock mic sounded too high pitched for my voice. I put on my silver eagle (slightly modded) and everyone seems to like that sound better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.