• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

stud mount

minitrucker said:
can someone tell the best place too order a mount for my wilson 2000 trucker
The worlds strongest stud mount is made by hand out of stainless steel in a machine-shop in ohio, and is only available at 2 shops in albuquerque new mexico: Mesa CB and Extreme CB--I don't, however recommend them as technicians.

rabbiporkchop said:
minitrucker said:
can someone tell the best place too order a mount for my wilson 2000 trucker
The worlds strongest stud mount is made by hand out of stainless steel in a machine-shop in ohio, and is only available at 2 shops in albuquerque new mexico: Mesa CB and Extreme CB--I don't, however recommend them as technicians.

Have a link to those shops? Phone #? Pic of the mount?

thanks!

great mount

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a great mount.

Predator 10-K - Discounted Antenna Products

Don't waste your time with the 10k mount. It is only as strong as its weakest part which is the bottom half. The 10k mount is a fancy looking top with a 2 dollar bottom half which will break if you hit a tree branch with your antenna. this only applies to the so239 mount. The 10k lug mount is nice and strong. Most average people want an so239 mount though which is why I pointed you in the right direction in the first place.

Last edited:
What chaps my ass is that this thin flexi Japanese metal my car is made with has no way of handling even the strongest mount because the thin sheet metal around it will just bend and split. :glare:

I need to find or make one that is about 8"-10" in diameter so the stress would be applied over a much larger area, making it strong enough for a real antenna.

I like my Wilson 5000, especially compared to my old Wilson 1000, but I miss the performance of a full 1/4 wave and I'm not going back to that damn ugly quad-magnet mount.

I guess I'll have to go talk to a local machine shop and get it done, once and for all. Who knows, if it turns out great maybe I'll market it and get filthy rich off of CB'rs :LOL:

Pro comm has been building a mount that looks similar with an injection-molded plastic insert to provide support for the bolt, however if you apply more than 10 lbs of torque to it you will crush the soft insert and short out the stud- thereby blowing up your radio and amp. The stud Jerry makes utilizes an insert hand machined from a solid piece of acetal resin- otherwise known as DuPont ™ Delrin ®, and he machines threads through the center of the insulator and screws the bolt through the insulator then presses the whole assembly together. You may then torque it down as high as 55 lbs without crushing the insulator. There is no point in rehashing all this stuff, as I have already done all the comparisons. As I always tell people, the mount is only as strong as its weakest component which is invariably always the bottom half. A lug mount stud will almost always be stronger than a pl259 mount, but most truck drivers prefer a pl259 mount for convenience. This is why I have focused so much attention on Jerrys hand made studs. You could buy from Hank Breedlove @ Breedlove Mounts , but he primarily works with aluminum and brass because it is easier to machine with a higher profit margin and his prices are kind of high for the average truck driver. Jerry primarily machines stainless steel and builds things in batches of 50 at a time and only tacks on a couple dollars per item on top of his cost keeping his prices down low enough so that a retailer can profit on the item. If anyone thinks that they know of a stud that I haven't tested that might be stronger than Jerrys stud, I will be more than happy to buy one and perform my baseball bat test on it vs Jerrys stud and I will be more than happy to post the video on Youtube for everyone to see. I have tested every stud from almost every manufacturer looking for the worlds strongest and longest lasting pl259 bottom stud if all you guys look at post # 4 you will notice that I don't mention a name of the manufacturer, because at the time I had no idea who made the stud, because the retailers would not divulge the information. I knew at the time after I bought and baseball bat tested the stud that I was on the right track, but without the name of the guy who made them, all I could do was point the original poster to the shop that was selling the studs. 2 years after buying the stud for the first time, I managed to track down the manufacturer while driving through Ohio, and since then I have purchased most of my harware directly from him.

needle bender

What chaps my ass is that this thin flexi Japanese metal my car is made with has no way of handling even the strongest mount because the thin sheet metal around it will just bend and split. :glare:

I need to find or make one that is about 8"-10" in diameter so the stress would be applied over a much larger area, making it strong enough for a real antenna.

I like my Wilson 5000, especially compared to my old Wilson 1000, but I miss the performance of a full 1/4 wave and I'm not going back to that damn ugly quad-magnet mount.

I guess I'll have to go talk to a local machine shop and get it done, once and for all. Who knows, if it turns out great maybe I'll market it and get filthy rich off of CB'rs :LOL:

Check this out for your car:
SO-239 backing plates
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/img166.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/img165.gif

I've got a couple questions about stud mounting.

I've got a 5/8 wave Firestick stud mounted on the roof of my Superduty. It works but I get a humming noise when I drive over 50 MPH.

I'd like to upgrade to a Preditor 10K or Wilson 5000 antenna. Will the noise go away when I mount up one of these antennas ?

What happens if you hit a tree with one of these antennas stud mounted ? Should they be spring mounted instead ?

Or should I mount a 102" whip in the bed of my truck instead ? At least it will bend over easily ????

Thanks !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.