• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Subsitutes for 6lf6 tubes???

Riveratt355

Mar 5, 2014
Hello once again to all my fellow operators.Does anyone know of a drop-in replacement for the 6lf6 tube that may be a little cheaper.I heard that a 6kd6 will work but draws 2.5 more amps so not good for amp. If anyone has any input on this subject that would be great! P.S. Would like to hear from you on the air as well,I stand by channel 38lsb during the day,just yell for 355 in the Great Lakes and see if we can make a dx contact.Take care,Riveratt.

The 6LB6 will work fine. Just don't hammer the snot out of them. They are ALL sweep tubes, and remember they weren't designed for transmitting, even when they were NEW!

I don't know what kind of amplifier you have, but you can also get creative using a tube with a different filament voltage. Like a 30LB6, or 30KD6. You just need to re-wire the sockets for the filaments to have the correct voltage. In an RF amplifier you can get away with wiring them in series and putting them across the AC supply. Example, if you have 5 tubes in the amplifier, choose a 20 volt filament voltage tube, they will add up to 120 and you're set. Not the best idea but it has brought a lot of these old amplifiers back to life for a lot cheaper.

6lf6 tubes

The amp I have uses 8 6lf6 tubes,2 driving 6, and it is missing one in the final stage so I was just trying to find out if there were anything cheaper that I could pop in there.If I were to use a 6lb6 tube should I get 2 of them and use those in the driver stage and stay with all 6lf6's in the final stage? Thanks to everyone for your replys!!! Riveratt.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.