• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sunspot Cycle

Do they still use 27Mhz for remote control stuff? If so be careful how far you fly those things, with the sunspots acting like they are your transmitter may not be able to reach it.:whistle:
No it's all in the 2.4gHz area and up I believe, some dollar store r/c cars and maybe walmart toys still use 27mHz but anything hobby grade will operate at a much higher freq. (afaik)

Got my first 2 meter rig (Yaesu FT-227R Memorizer) hooked it up to the A99 trying to listen in, this unit doesn't have a modern ctcss/pl tone board. Can I still listen in on repeater activity without the tone? Or is propagation the reason why I couldn't dial anyone in?
That or maybe I'm using an FM only radio where some SSB could be taking place, this plus the 10/15 kHz jumps (channelized PLL, no VFO dial) may make it harder to dial someone in.

11 meters is not as exciting anymore, time for me to expand the horizon into "new" frequencies.
Can't say I've heard much of anything on 10 meters.

Hopefully the next cycle is a good one for propagation.
Regardless of the sunspot cycle there will be some 6m activity.
Thank you for the suggestion Captain Kilowatt.

I thought a website exists, one can check HF propagation through a web browser?

Last edited:
Get that 2m rig connected to a real 2m antenna and ditch the 11m A99 and you might hear something. If you have a local repeater you might hear something on it but anything at any distance a real 2m antenna is the way to go.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Get that 2m rig connected to a real 2m antenna and ditch the 11m A99 and you might hear something. If you have a local repeater you might hear something on it but anything at any distance a real 2m antenna is the way to go.
Very good, I plan on making a 2 meter ground plane. If i still cannot hear anything i'll start another thread.
Thank You, 73.

As a cb'er thinking of getting into ham is it worth looking into a radio with 2 meter/ 70cm coverage? I'm a driver gone 5 days a week and am looking for a radio I can take with me. Looking at a yeasu 857, but was thinking of buying a 2m/70cm radio before spending more money on a hf radio.
I live in a townhouse with a 30'×30' patio that I can set up a j pole antenna for 2m70cm. Is there anybody on the 2 meter and 70 meter bands? I live in San Antonio ,so maybe there is some activity.
I have been into CB's for about 20 years and only got into SSB about 7 years ago, I really wish I had tried it much sooner I enjoy talking SSB alot. Now as we all know 11 meters is pretty quite. Any suggestions on what a good radio would be.

As a cb'er thinking of getting into ham is it worth looking into a radio with 2 meter/ 70cm coverage?
2/70 coverage outside of the larger cities is basically none. There are some linked repeters accross the country but they are few and far between. As a driver getting your general and putting an HF rig in the truck would be far more beneficial.

Reactions: codeman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.