• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

super scanner

msherren5

Aug 28, 2006
east coast of canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
finally got my super scanner up and was working good.one problem cant switch beams.took it down and had a friend of mine look at it but cant seem to getrelays to work right on it.the three relays work independenly but they dont seem to work together.i have a four pin connector on relay box and three way on control box tried wiring up 6 ways to hell and back but cant seem to figure it out any help greatly app. mike

Do you have a MANUAL for this antenna? Check the wiring again.

There were at least TWO versions of the Super Scanner. Does yours have a shorted 9' stub (cable) that hangs free from the relay box?

i downloaded the manual on the internet.and cant solve the problem.all the relays work.i tested those.but when hooked to control box only two of the relays will work depending how i wire them up.sometimes 1 and 2 will and when change wires around them 2 and 3 will work.the relay box has four hookups and control box has three.i tested this with ohm meter and it is feeding elements.i try to describe how this is wired.three elements in beam white red and orange.when box is turned to first position white and red light up ohm meter.when turned to second position white and orange light up ohm meter. when turned to third position white only lights up.when turned to omni all three light up meter.going by the sequence on the third setting the orange and red should light up meter.by schematics the box is right. so im wondering if i need a 4 contact control box or is this the way it should be tks.
mike

I have owned several of these through out the years, and I have always had 3 wire control boxes...
now I have heard that the first super scanners [MR-119] had 4 wire control boxes and NO relays they used capicitors and were not very directional...
the next generation with the tuning stub and relays [MS-119] at first had 4 wires then went to 3 wires...I have owned one of these and the rest of them I have owned including the one I have now whitch I put up new this past summer [ guy in montana had it new in the box never opened..] has three wire control box..
wiring seems straight forward A goes to A , B goes to B, C is not used, and D goes to D... unless some one has modified the control or relay box...

here is a link to a 4 wire box

http://cgi.ebay.com/MR-119-SUPER-SC...ryZ48692QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the only thought I have to improving the super scanner is that I would have liked to see a 5/8 wave model instead of just the 1/2 wave model...
in the near future I will be experimenting with making one 5/8..
later
sam

What do you have in mind to do to these three elements, center fed 1/2 wave dipoles, that will make it 5/8 wave?

Rather than make the elements 5/8 waves, why not just add three directors? Instead of 'three' two element beams you'd have 'three' three element beams.
- 'Doc

just wanting to make it work the way it should.(kind of funny that way).live on the water nothing behind me but water everything is south of me but sometimes the fishing boats are north of my location and i talk to them mike

I had thought of adding directors and think it is a viable option...BUT it would make it more directional, and would ,I am afraid require a rotor at that point...

where as making it a 5/8 wave wopuld just increase the gain and performance...
obviously would have to add length to each of the elements a total of 4.58 feet or add 2.29 feet to each element up and down...
AND then I believe the spacing would have to be increased between elements.....but this is an unknown to me so will have to experiment..
ANY IDEAS?? Marconi ???
if you have any ideas plese let me know , I have an extra super scanner to experiment with
thanks
sam

msherren5, you are right. To be honest, both you and missouri 69 handles both started with an "M" and were about the same length in characters. Until you posted your last coment did I realize that my response was to another.

Sometimes these threads have a way of getting beyond the point the aurthor presents. I am sorry for my part in doing that. I will delete my comments.

Mike,
Nothing wrong with "wanting to make it work right". And considering how that antenna works, I think I'd leave it alone, not modify it with changing element lengths, adding directors, etc. They work well to start with. 'Marconi's right, sometimes things sort of get 'carried away', sorry 'bout that.
Not being familiar with the 'S.Scanner's construction I wouldn't be much help, other than to say it certainly ought to be fixable!
- 'Doc

OK
sorry I took the thread so far off topic..

working on the problem...assuming you have a 3 wire control box and relay box...

when measuring the AC voltage from my control box..across terminals A-B, A-D, B-D

all lights on..... O volts between A-B, A-D, B-D

1st light on [5 oclock position] A-B 0 VAC,A-D 23VAC, B-D 23VAC

2nd light on [12 oclock position] A-B 25VAC, A-D 25VAC, B-D 0VAC

3rd light on [7 oclock position] A-B 25VAC, A-D 0 VAC,B-D 25VAC

all voltages are AC...

are these the figures that you get out of your control box, msherren5 ???

If these are the same readings that you have and the wiring hooked up correctly A-A ,B-B, D-D...

then the problem would be in the relay box at the antenna...you can try to clean the relays , or sand paper the points ,...I have never found a relay to replace them with..

later
sam

7 oclock
a-b = o vac
a-d = 0 vac
b-d = 25.4 vac

12 oclock
a-b = 0 vac
a-d = 25.4 vac
b-d = 0 vac

5 0clock
a-b = 0 vac
a-d = 25.3 vac
b-d = 25.3 vac

these are the voltages across my control box which i just tested... 7 oclock feeds b,12 oclock feeds a,5 oclock feeds both a & b.is this right mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.