• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super star 250 amp

These are great little transistors and 2 of them should have no issue developing 100 watts if you are supplying the amp with 13.5 VDC the expected current will be about 8 amps this is simply dividing Power by Voltage. There are variables but no many the rules should apply except in the case where an issue exists that would show more current being drawn because of inefficiencies or design issues or transistors not up to specs.

Thanks! I have a this one and a Palomar that I inherited years ago, along with a President HR2510 and Ranger 2950. They have been stored in the attic of my shop for at least 10 years. I decided to see if they still worked, and after changing a couple of leaky caps and a speaker, the Ranger and Palomar came alive Saturday and I astonished my wife to be able to throw a little skip right of the bat, sitting in my truck in the front yard. Now she wants the Pres. in her car, so I plan to add this amp to it. There is no fuse holder, so I was curious as to what protection it needed. It is fed with 12 gauge wire, so there's that...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The fuse on those is internal, just pop the screws on the faceplate and it will stay there but now move around some. Then slide the bottom metal cover off. Probably will have a 20 amp fuse on the board by the power input section.

Thanks! I have a this one and a Palomar that I inherited years ago, along with a President HR2510 and Ranger 2950. They have been stored in the attic of my shop for at least 10 years. I decided to see if they still worked, and after changing a couple of leaky caps and a speaker, the Ranger and Palomar came alive Saturday and I astonished my wife to be able to throw a little skip right of the bat, sitting in my truck in the front yard. Now she wants the Pres. in her car, so I plan to add this amp to it. There is no fuse holder, so I was curious as to what protection it needed. It is fed with 12 gauge wire, so there's that...
I'm not so sure they are fused internally. I have owned a number of similar models and recapped all of them. I have not seen a fuse in one ever. I bought some fuse holders from Amazon and I add them to the power line. They are made from 10 gauge wire. My Palomar 225 draws just under 15 amps on SSB and will occasionally blow a 15 amp fuse. I put a 20 amp fuse in mine. Interestingly enough, I have been unable to find the fuse spec for any of these amps so I use my amp meter for "normal" current draw and just use the fuse that is the next highest one. There is a good amps vs cable size vs feet here https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html . It shows that a 10 gauge wire is good for 20 amps as long as the wire is under 15 feet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.