• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superior Longhorn N6 SSB TX Distortion

Well as you know there is a market for that stuff… I have several rangers . They have served me well. But the new ones need better quality control…
I have a 2950 from the 90's, it was alright except for the noisy RX. The Galaxy 949 I have, is over 20 years old and it too is alright. The stuff they are pushing now, is pure, unadulterated rubbish.

Reactions: Pez
Seeing all these posts about noisy rx, and crappy TX audio in these newer radios that cost so much, I'm very happy that I haven't jumped in with the crowd, and that I've kept my Grant XL.

Seeing all these posts about noisy rx, and crappy TX audio in these newer radios that cost so much, I'm very happy that I haven't jumped in with the crowd, and that I've kept my Grant XL.
When I am in the mood to hook up a toy radio, like I did last night, I connected my Galaxy 2547 since it was dusty. I blew the dust off, used it for about 5 mins and took it off the table. Connected my 41 year old Jackson, talked on it till I passed out and it is still connected. RX is night and day, by comparison to any Ranger built rig I have here. 2950, 2950DX, Galaxy 949, Galaxy 2547, Galaxy 94HP, Galaxy 98VHP....no comparison. The money these things go for these days is stupid.

When I am in the mood to hook up a toy radio, like I did last night, I connected my Galaxy 2547 since it was dusty. I blew the dust off, used it for about 5 mins and took it off the table. Connected my 41 year old Jackson, talked on it till I passed out and it is still connected. RX is night and day, by comparison to any Ranger built rig I have here. 2950, 2950DX, Galaxy 949, Galaxy 2547, Galaxy 94HP, Galaxy 98VHP....no comparison. The money these things go for these days is stupid.
Have you checked fleabay prices on Grant XL lately?? Seen more than a few going for $300+. With shitty blue meter lights and bad mod installations.

No, not lately, but at least it's a decent radio.
There is one there that has a $300 price tag, it's been there 9+ months. There are 3 others with extras, that don't look so bad, yet have blessed meter lights, one has multiple different colors, all from the same guy. No idea if they've been recapped or just modded. Minimum is about $150. Then there are the ones that might work, might not, for $150+...
Happy to say I have 3 that are decently clean. Need to have 2 of them recapped at some point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.