• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superior Longhorn N6 SSB TX Distortion

SuperLid

Feb 6, 2020
NY/NJ
This is the first of this model I have here and am looking for others that have experienced problems with the exciter (radio PA). It came to me with shorted RT1 finals. I replaced them and kicked it out, as the owner did not want me to mess with all of the "upgrades" and add-ons he paid some duck (sic) with a truck for.

A week later he tells me finals are blown again, radio comes back, but they are not blown. At this point, I tell him, this radio is not leaving here with some assclown mods and better work. So, I removed some assclown snake oil, (left some in because I didnt think a giant gobstopper AM regulator or 2200uF electrolytic would hurt anything)cleaned up some sloppy work and did some alignment, because the radio was lined up like a truck that was jacknifed the week before.

Thing is SSB TX sucks. It is distorted and doesn't start to clean up unless I bias the driver and final stages hard. I adjusted the idle current to 100ma per stage, with the trimmers but it sucks. It sucked before it came in here and it sucks now.

Anyone ever have any luck getting these RCI POS radios to clean up? How?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

How looks the signal on output of ssb balanced modulator? Are you sure distortion start on driver?
Driver as in radio? The amp is off and is distorted. This POS has 4xRT1's and like I said, if I bias the shit out of them, it starts to clean up when there is 4.25v (maximum) on the gates. I didn't measure the idle current when I maxxed it out, but I can see it starts to clean up.

Yes, usually the "assclowns mods" are to disable the TX ALC,
by turning it way off, or by cutting out the transistors/diodes in the ALC
circuit, as was done on some Uniden HR2510's I was given.

You can get by in AM with the ALC and AMC disabled,
but in SSB it sounds super bad.

I would set the RF sections to a proper bias level, then set the ALC to
prevent the TX from clipping out. then go from there.

what is the board number? it must be similar to the 2950.

"assclown mods" - I love it! have seen them!

Reactions: walterjn
Yes, usually the "assclowns mods" are to disable the TX ALC,
by turning it way off, or by cutting out the transistors/diodes in the ALC
circuit, as was done on some Uniden HR2510's I was given.

You can get by in AM with the ALC and AMC disabled,
but in SSB it sounds super bad.

I would set the RF sections to a proper bias level, then set the ALC to
prevent the TX from clipping out. then go from there.

what is the board number? it must be similar to the 2950.

"assclown mods" - I love it! have seen them!
The problem is not the assclown mods now, it is the radio power amplifier, not the strap on amp. EPT6950016A

Or Galaxy radios, which are just Rangers in disguise anyways.....
Or connex, or mirage, or malaysia cobra, or texas ranger or who gives a shit...THEY SUCK!!!!!!! AND WTF...THE COST OF THIS POS??? ABOUT A GRAND DELIVERED MAYBE MORE? You gotta be on drugs to buy this junk. It's probably cheaper than a weekly junk habit budget, but still, JUST SAY NO!!!

Last edited:
hmmmm! I like working on these radios.
these 2950/2970/2995 types.

so where can I find this schematic for this board EPT6950016A
on this radio? in case I get one to repair.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.