• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swan Mark II - SO-239 connectors

OK.
With sooo much of that insulation broken out of the connector, I was wondering if it wasn't arcing.

What do you think about the right tube socket (2nd picture from the bottom)?
Looks like it had gotten pretty hot; the tube pin clasps are oxidized and discolored.
Just hope they clean up. If not, going to replace it.

I can't see straight down into the pin but it looks like it should be fine where it is. It is a grid pin and there are two more pins connected to the grid as well. I would NOT use it in positions 1 or 5 however which are the filament pins. Again the blackening is mostly from oxidizing of the silver which was probably accelerated by some heat. That pin may have bee a filament pin at one time and moved BTW. 3-500Z's can get REAL hot with minimal air flow.The best way to clean those old silver tube pins is to remove the socket and dip the whole thing or baste it with Tarnex silver cleaner which is really a mild solution of sulphuric acid. Wash off in clear water after. Either that or dip a Q-tip in silver polish and insert into the pin holder as if it were a tube pin and spin it back and forth and just clean the mating surface of the connector. Again wash any residue off with alcohol or methyl hydrate as it evaporates well and you don't have to worry about getting things wet.

Found and bought an original Johnson tube socket on eBay to replace the right tube socket on the RF deck.
It wouldn't clean up; so I'm replacing it.
Cost was $20/shipped.

Also bought a new RCA female plug for the TX relay locally; cost was $.50.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJFcE918FI6oIBPdg-L89PQ~~60_12-001.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJFcE918FI6oIBPdg-L89PQ~~60_12-001.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.