• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sweet 16

Texas star sweet 16 don,t like alot of drive. They recomend the mod v, a 1 pill driver. I have use a texas star 250 2 2sc2290s. I would,nt use your 2 pill it has 2 2879s.T star sweet 16 will go up in smoke real fast. Try a world wide or xforce 8 pill they can take more drive .

Driving 8 2SC2879s with 2 2SC2879s is too much drive no matter who makes the 8 transistor amp. Some amps may be able to "handle it" without going up in smoke, but you're going to be driving the transistors too hard and cause a ton of "splatter".

You can run that 1600 with 100 watts input but if you run 60-75 watts in it will be alot easier on those transistors I run my amateur amplifiers at 60 watts input (drive power) and they run great if the dx is crazy or pileups are bad you can turn the drive up to 100 wats or so run it that way and youy have plenty of power to be heard and when it gets bad you power on reserve and you can turn up the drive if need be and use that reserve.

Theres no use of pounding the everloving piss out of these amplifiers for a few extra watts that nobody is hearing with the naked ear anyways.

If your talking about a Magna Force 200 (2 pill 2290's), yes.....But. You will want something like 10-12 watts dead key and no more then 100 peak.

I explain this topic or subject to my kids with their amateur stuff and to other people like this. "If you have a Corvette and its able to go 160 mph and you drove it everyday at 160 mph how long do you think it would last?"

THERES NO NEED TO BEAT IT BUT ITS NICE TO HAVE THE EXTRA WHEN YOU NEED IT. ;)

in my younger years of mudducking
i found that the best amp i had came across was the TNT SuperModulator
this was the nicest amp in its day for the sweet16

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.