• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

swing

subway

i once ordered a sub sandwich all the way and the girl thought i was being fresh with here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swing in a radio is usually used to run a linear amplifier which is illegal, but having it deadkey low keeps the amp from over heating. If your just running the radio by itself, might as well leave it alone and do a peak & tune on it. No sense clipping the limiter and distorting your SSB operation. Clipping a radio will only distort the audio coming out of it.

Aloha, James.....

if i clip it could i put something back in its spot?

How about an identical component?

Clipping a mod limiter is not a good idea. Nor is (over)volting the finals.That is unless of course you enjoy tearing up the neighbors electronics and splattering all over hell's half acre on the band. Some guys like that as it makes them feel they have a really good radio when in fact they have a piece of crap. It's your radio and your neighbors and I am far enough away to not care in the slightest so do what you want to it. As for turning everything inside the radio to the left, don't you think the manufacturer knew where to set those adjustments?

How about an identical component?

Quality,pmsl.

Clipping a mod limiter is not a good idea. Nor is (over)volting the finals.That is unless of course you enjoy tearing up the neighbors electronics and splattering all over hell's half acre on the band. Some guys like that as it makes them feel they have a really good radio when in fact they have a piece of crap. It's your radio and your neighbors and I am far enough away to not care in the slightest so do what you want to it. As for turning everything inside the radio to the left, don't you think the manufacturer knew where to set those adjustments?

Couldn't agree more,

Hick it's obvious you don't know what the consequences of the actions you intend doing are, which in itself is a good enough reason NOT to do them, As Captain Kilowatt says, despite the fact many people think manufacturers with highly expensive test equipment don't know what they are doing, nothing could be further from the truth, sure they don't align radios 100% (that takes time and patience) something far east production lines don't allow for, but they do get the radios to within reasonable tolerance,

the best thing you can do if you must do something is get the radio aligned to 100% of its capabilities by someone with the knowledge and appropriate test equipment which doesn't involve volting or clipping anything. Otherwise leave it alone as you will most likely detract from performance rather than improve it.

the guy that works on all my cbs ive had says to clip it hes like 86 and im a whole lot younger then him and knows every trick in the book

he obviously doesn't know every trick in the book if he's advising you to clip anything, might be time you got a new tech, preferrably one with a CONSCIENCE.

If your old friend is as apt to do anything with a radio, and knows all of the tricks; then he may know this trick. Instead of removing the limiter altogether, one can put a resistor in to limit its function. See if he knows that trick. This will allow for the modulation to be higher. But even this is in vain of you are getting 100% modulation already.

I would ask him to fully align the radio and get 105% modulation with the mic you are using now. I would ask him to match the output of the radio to the input of the linear for quality audio; little/no distortion. I would mount the antenna on the top of the vehicle. I would consider a Predator 10K or a 102 inch stainless steel whip if I was to improve the ability to propagate your signal better.

Other than that, I would park on a hill when I wanted to get some interesting local talk or even some different DX.

All for just $.02 . . .

Depends on the radio, what you do to it can make a difference or not , And yes tuning the radio for 100% modulation is the best thing to do, but I wouldn't dare clip a thing in any of my radios...:eek:

T23

i thank thats what he did to my friends and i aint going to tell some one thats been working on stuff for years that aint right you know what i mean

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.