• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Help Needed

stlouisx50

May 21, 2011
So I got my new radio Magnum 257 HP and tuned it to Ch 1 and set the calibration and the switched to SWR mode, A reading of 1.4-1.5 great, so then I went to channels 20 and 40 and noticed that when I switch the meter to calibration mode and then key up and try to calibrate. I get the SWR meter to go in the red zone , but I can not turn the calibration far enough to the set mode to calibrate.

What am I to try ?

What kind of antenna?
How is it set up?
SWR is for antenna tuning; so your antenna is out of tune - obviously.

Thanks for the reply Rob.

The setup is the Magnum 257 HP , Wilson Little Wil antenna. My first problem that I found after posting was that the antenna was not down in the base all the way. So the antenna down to the proper possession and found better SWR readings on CH 1. This time the SWR was around 1.1-1.2 perfect right? Well I tuned to CH 19 and found that I could calibrate the SWR meter but this was at it's limit. When I would go to try to tune the radio on CH 40 there is just no way that I can calibrate my SWR meter to the tune possession. The needle stays in the red zone.

I watched the video provided above and found it useful but I'm stumped at this CH 40 problem.

I also do know that I would be better off with a 48" + antenna, but for cost reasons , I stuck with the Little Wil.

So I cranked up the power to the max setting on channels 20 and 40 and noticed that I could get to the cal setting to tune on the SWR Meter, but when I switched to see the SWR reading I would get 3.+ Now is that because it's feeding it too much power now?

No, it's not because it's feeding it too much power. It's because that's the SWR that the meter 'sees'. The -amount- of power has no affect on SWR. SWR is a ratio of the power going 'forward' and the power coming 'back'. That ratio will stay the same from 1 watt to 1000 watts (pick any two power numbers, 1 and 1000 are only for illustration).
Probably the simplest reason for that 3+ SWR is because the antenna isn't tuned correctly. Which means that the antenna isn't presenting a 50 ohm impedance to the feed line, which in turn isn't presenting a 50 ohm impedance to the radio. The combination of the antenna's impedance and the feed line's impedance is what an SWR meter at the transmitter's end of that feed line will see. It can't tell the difference between the feed line's impedance and the antenna's impedance, only the combination of the two.
- 'Doc

If you're going to start cutting anything use a piece of throw away wire like an unbent clothes hanger to fin yiour length. Cut the whip on the lil will only if it is needed after you find the right length on the throw away wire.

If you're going to start cutting anything use a piece of throw away wire like an unbent clothes hanger to fin yiour length. Cut the whip on the lil will only if it is needed after you find the right length on the throw away wire.

Can I cut different lengths of this aluminum wire to try starting with the a little longer than what the antenna is now and cut the wire down to see where the antenna may need to be?
lightbox

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62474222@N02/5743348875/in/photostream/lightbox/

As long as the wire will stand up by it's self and fit into the antenna's ferrule, it should work just fine. Start a bit longer than you think it necessary and start cutting it down.
- 'Doc

Check SWR on Ch's 1, 20, & 40. Use low power out of the radio; about 4 watts on AM mode with the mic gain turned down all of the way. Be sure and readjust the SWR calibration when you change channels, as it will make a difference on each reading on each channel you are checking.

SWR

So I cranked up the power to the max setting on channels 20 and 40 and noticed that I could get to the cal setting to tune on the SWR Meter, but when I switched to see the SWR reading I would get 3.+ Now is that because it's feeding it too much power now?

try checking swr with the radios power set to midway, if it cures the 3.0:1 swr setting, chances are when you switched to full power on the front control knob, the radio has been internally set up for too much power and is spewing harmonics, which could be the reason for your highish swr reading, if this is the case then adjusting the radios internal AM/FM carrier settings lower may tame it.

the front control knob varies the carrier power between zero or thereabouts and whatever the internal preset is set to on maximum.if the internal preset is set to high then inevitably when you turn the external control to full power you will inevitably come across problems relating to the carrier level being set to high.

incidentally this is the same reason fitting an ext power control should NOT be done simply by replacing the internal preset with an external control, because when you open it full up you have nothing left inside to set the max limit the transistor can cope with before it spews harmonics,self oscillates or even worse burns up.

it can easily be done by leaving the preset intact and fitting a variable before the preset,its also a good idea to leave some resistance permanantly in line on top of the new variables resistance,like its done on many ranger/galaxy/connex radios.

cutting an antenna is a LAST resort, you can't replace what you've cut off, so its much better to be sure all your connections,cable and other equipment are up to scratch first, which incidentally is the cause of 95% or more of all antenna problems.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.